Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

XS32 Connectivity Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by New Bloke, Jan 5, 2005.

1. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I purchased XS32 rather than buying Sky+ as it is more flexible for my needs.

One question which has not been covered is specifically down to connectivity.

I have connected my Sky box to AV2, the settings for RGB and the Tosh is set up for AV2 RGB input.

AV1 is connected to my Tosh TV (Picture Frame) and also by Component to AV4 on the TV.

I have used two QED fully wired SCART cables, which were not cheap and when I view the Sky menus, they are of a poorer quality than connecting Sky direct to the TV. Same quality when I switched the XS32 off and view the picture through "SATMON".

The general picture quality is excellent but this is just one niggling thing I would like answered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    You seem to have connected everything correctly. The usual things to watch out for with Sky are

a) Connect to the Digibox "TV" scart for RGB (not the "VCR" scart)

b) Don't use the TV button on the Sky remote as this switches OFF the Sky RGB output (restore by pressing the Sky button)

The SatMon button should simply passthrough the Sky signals to the television and the results should be exactly the same as if the digibox were connected directly to the television.

3. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Oops, it's amazing how the small things can be overlooked, all sorted now :clap:

4. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Okay, now the next stage.

I have connected the XS32 to the TV on AV1 with RGB SCART and AV4 with Video Component and Optical.

When I switch to AV4 (Component) now that the recorder is setup for RGB I get a blank (blue) screen. As there is options for AV2 input and AV1 output, I can't see any options for the component output?!?!

Is there an advantage having the component connected or shall I disconnect and re-assign the digital audio to AV1?

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    For some strange reason you have to set the XS32 AV1 to "Video" (or "S-Video") to get component output to work.
    Setting it to RGB output will disable component. My Panasonic E55 does the same. :confused:

6. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Currently I have a set of 75 Ohm IXOS component cables and a QED SCART cable.

Is it worth keeping both and changing the menu setting whenever I need to watch a DVD through component or just use the SCART cable?

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Depends how big the difference in quality is between RGB and component. This seems to vary quite a bit depending largely on the TV in question, so I would just experiment a bit with some good pre-recorded DVDs to see If you really notice much difference. :)