XS32 & auto-chapter marking & fast forward?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jon99, Nov 26, 2004.

1. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Two weeka ago the group helped me decide on which machine to buy and I plumbed for the XS32. I am still experimenting and finding ways to use it. This being my first DVD Recorder I am unsure as to whether I am being picky or just stupid.

I would like to record TV programmes such that the recorder automatically marks the start and end of adverts and the programme. Can the XS32 do this? I record off Sky and Terrestial.
    Secondly coming from VHS I have got used to easily fast forwarding through the adverts but on the XS32 the >> buttons are very fiddly for my chubby fingers and the overall control of the speed is poor. Can anyone advise me on using or avoiding the use of these buttons? :suicide:

Overall I am impressed with the machine and the quality of recording/playback. :smashin:

I find when chapter marking I always end up with a few frames at the start of at least one chapter I didn't want but I believe somewhere on this forum there is advice on avoiding/getting rid of these, so when I have time I'll trawl through. Of course I never notice the unwanted frames until I've cut the disk to DVD :mad:

I have looked through the forum for advice on media and currently use Panasonic and I have bought some Verbatim. Anyone had good results on cheaper disks? I am a little confused over the specs on disks and the dyes but I would like to find a cheaper brand.

Before buying the XS32 I erroneously invested in 100 DVD+Rs - can I assume that these will not work on the XS32 even after being burnt on my PC? :confused:

Thanks for all the help.

John

2. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a word, No (I don't think any of the machine can) :thumbsdow

I have instant skip and instant replay set to 30 and 10 seconds respectively. I repeatedly press skip to jump through the adverts, and if necessary use replay to back up a bit if I've jumped into the start of the programme.

I find this quicker than visual search was on my VCR.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    John

3. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Monocrider :- I'll investigate the instant skip and instant replay settings - I wasn't aware these existed. I guess I'll have to read the manual :-(

John

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also use instant skip. I do sometimes use the visual search buttons, remember that each time you press them it gets faster so I tend to just press them a couple of times, and then press play as soon as I've reached the part I want.

The 1x search is quite fun as you also have sound, so if you're running short on time you can watch something at 1.5x normal speed.....you can just about follow it.