XS32 and Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redsox_mark, Jan 8, 2005.

1. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ok... I've had my XS32 about a month now, and love it.

I've had it configured using RGB to my plasma screen. Today I thought I'd try and change the configuration, and connect it via the component outputs instead, for 2 reasons: 1 is I've heard that with my screen (Panasonic PW6) the component input is better than the RGB, and also I could try the progressive scan.

Well, having done this, I can't tell the difference in the picture (both look equally good to me). Maybe my eyes are just bad. And I can't tell the difference when I press the "progressive" button. Something does happen - the screen flickers for a sec as it changes - but the quality looks the same.

This leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Should progressive be better? (are my eyes just bad)?

2. Is there any way to make progressive be the default, or do I have to press the button each time? And when I shut off the XS32, when I turn it back on will it default to interlaced and I have to press it again? Is there any way for me to tell if I am in progressive mode or not?

As I can't tell the difference I guess it doesn't matter... but in case others can I'd like to run it with progressive on, and with a button which just toggles I lose track and don't know if I have progressive on or not?

Hope this makes sense!

Mark

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The Toshiba RDXS32 coupled with a Panasonic PW6 looks very slightly better with progressive off in my opinion. No real mystery behind this - the PW6 is a quality plasma and is just doing a better job at PS than the DVD recorder.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Rasczak,

Thanks - I think I'll go back to my old configuration, and not worry about progressive scan.

Mark