xps 420 graphic card failure

eddyhow

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi, the nvidea 8800gt graphics card on my dell xps420 has just died and i need to replace it. was just looking for one similar or a bit better, have a 375 watt psu and six wire plug in. can anyone recommend a new card i can just slot in with no additional mods. Tried an asus Nvidea gt 440 from Maplins but when i got home found it didnt have plug socket. guy said didnt need to plug in as had big fan, but i wasnt convinced so didnt buy.

Tried an asus Nvidea gt 440 from Maplins but when i got home found it didnt have plug socket. guy said didnt need to plug in as had big fan, but i wasnt convinced so didnt buy.

Surely a big fan means it generates more heat (so sucks more power)?

The 8800GT was a great value mid-range card when new (it cost £175) but that was almost five years ago now (Autumn 2007) so you should be able to get similar performance for around half that.

Tom's Hardware maintains a rough list of card performance next to each other here:
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2012

The 8800GT consumes around 95W under load, 120W maximum and there's a list of other card's power consumption here:
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 - Atomic 3.0

Anything that doesn't require a separate connector consumes 75W maximum.

If you want the best you can get in the same power draw as your current card then you'll need to look to ATI (e.g. 7770) as most of nVidia's current cards aren't very efficient.

Last edited:
thanks for that, that power consumption chart, and the old 8800 rating gives me an idea of what to look for.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom