Xps 15

Rola

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have been looking at the new Dell XPS 15 and was wondering how much difference there is between the 2 specs below, particularly when gaming - FPS (eg. COD BO)

I've seen some of these videos YouTube - kriios's Channel and am aware that I wont be able to match his machines performance but wondered how close i could get with these specs....?

Intel Core i7 740QM 1.73GHz
4096MB RAM
2GB Nvidia Geforce GT 435M
£642 (after cashback and 10% voucher code)

&

Intel Core i5 460M 2.53GHz
4096MB
1GB Nvidia Geforce GT 420M
£586 (after cashback & 5% voucher code)

It's obvious the the i7 offers better 'value for money' but is it really worth the extra £56 - will the difference be noticeable when gaming (without the expensive screen upgrade)?
Also how much difference does a 2gb gpu make (as opposed to a 1gb)?

Lots to answer i know, but any input would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks!!

This came up in another thread recently, the GT420M and GT435M are the same chip which the latter running at, IIRC, 650Mhz instead of 500Mhz. I reckoned the difference would be about 25-50% for the whole system.

The amount of video memory is irrelevent for performance, you just need to have 'enough' and 1GB should be plenty for this sort of low end GPU. The extra memory is just an easy way to sell it.

Clicking your youtube link you should get identical in game performance with the only difference between the quad-core you're considering and that system being a 0.1Ghz faster processor. His loading times will be much faster with that SSD though.

This came up in another thread recently, the GT420M and GT435M are the same chip which the latter running at, IIRC, 650Mhz instead of 500Mhz. I reckoned the difference would be about 25-50% for the whole system.

The amount of video memory is irrelevent for performance, you just need to have 'enough' and 1GB should be plenty for this sort of low end GPU. The extra memory is just an easy way to sell it.

Clicking your youtube link you should get identical in game performance with the only difference between the quad-core you're considering and that system being a 0.1Ghz faster processor. His loading times will be much faster with that SSD though.

Are you saying that there wouldn't be much/any difference in gaming performance between all 3 specs (my 2 and the one on youtube) or just between the 2 i7 specs??
Thanks

I have read in other forums that the difference between the 420m and 435m is noticeable and well worth the upgrade.... Im getting mixed messages :confused:

All i want is to know if ill able to play a FPS (eg. COD BO) on decent settings (i.e. medium/high) smoothly!

Any thoughts..?

Are you saying that there wouldn't be much/any difference in gaming performance between all 3 specs (my 2 and the one on youtube) or just between the 2 i7 specs??
Thanks

Just between the two i7s with identical card.

CoD Games are traditionally fairly undemanding but right now it should run any FPS you throw at it on medium (and possibly high) smoothly.

Sorry - this question probably isn't suitable for this forum, but it is directly related to this thread!

I have looked on the quidco website and they offer:

10% for the Electronics & Accessories category
10% for Alienware
3% for Inspiron Mini sales
5% for Inspiron sales
7% for all other sales

Does anyone know if the the 7% includes the new XPS laptops? "7% for all other sales".... seems a bit vague!!

**My original price included 5.05% cashback from Topcashback**
(If the 7% does include XPS laptops - the price of the i7 spec would be down to £629!!)

Sorry - this question probably isn't suitable for this forum, but it is directly related to this thread!

I have looked on the quidco website and they offer:

10% for the Electronics & Accessories category
10% for Alienware
3% for Inspiron Mini sales
5% for Inspiron sales
7% for all other sales

Does anyone know if the the 7% includes the new XPS laptops? "7% for all other sales".... seems a bit vague!!

**My original price included 5.05% cashback from Topcashback**
(If the 7% does include XPS laptops - the price of the i7 spec would be down to £629!!)

I am tempted to pick one up at these prices, an i7 xps seems very good value at just over £650 before cashback. :eek:

I am tempted to pick one up at these prices, an i7 xps seems very good value at just over £650 before cashback. :eek:

I agree - the Dell automatic saving on the XPS models ends on Wed 1st Dec. Don't know whether to take advantage of the deal now... or wait and see if the price goes down further leading up to xmas....?

Also, still waiting for someone to confirm the quidco cashback situation with the XPS models! There must be someone who knows...?

I've just purchased one of these using quidco, it hasn't been tracked yet so ill keep you posted to let you know whether it works or not. They look good value for money i bought a XPS 15 but upgraded the screen to 1080p and added a blu ray drive. But do be warned ive seen in various forums that delivery times are a big problem. I ordered mine yesterday (sunday 28th Nov) and my estimated delivery is 4th of January. I'm hoping this changes as i'd like it by christmas but others have waited around a month for deliveries.

Haha yeah im used to that already. Just to confirm quidco tracked my order at 7% which gave me just over £50 cash back plus the 10% coupon.

Use coupon code WW15L0P2?B0D1S for £50 discount off XPS laptops until 1st Jan 2011. Brings the base XPS 15 price down to £479.

- Simon.

Use coupon code WW15L0P2?B0D1S for £50 discount off XPS laptops until 1st Jan 2011. Brings the base XPS 15 price down to £479.

- Simon.

Thanks Simon!
Shame it doesn't work in conjunction with other voucher codes - but it still knocks more money off than the 5% voucher currently available.

Dell bring out their new 'weekly offers' tomoz - will wait to see if they reduce anything further.... hopefully the voucher codes on offer at
Dell Special Offers, Cheapest Deals, E-Value Codes and Discount Coupons | dmXdimension will be extended..... fingers crossed!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom