Question XPS 13 question - HD and outlet or regular?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by marcaass, Dec 22, 2016.

1. marcaass

marcaass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to get an XPS13 both because of the size is ideally what I need, and for build quality i believe they rate highly.

Most packages have a SSD with either a 128 or 256gb drive, and the Dell site only shows these combinations. I have seen on Dell outlet that you can get them with up to 1tb SSD, but are these higher capacities only available on the outlet site?

The reason why i was considering a 1tb drive was because I have approx 500gb of personal photo and home vids,and wanted them on the laptop. someone said to me not to bother keeping them on the laptop, have them permantly on external drives. Do others feel the same way?

Finally, what are peoples opinions on buying 'new' laptops from Dell outlet?

thanks for listening!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    1TB SSD models are available brand new, you need to use the next/previous buttons which are in the top right of the configurations section of the page (just about the four pictures).

I would definitely keep a copy of the stuff on the laptop if the couple of hundred extra for a 1TB SSD isn't an issue. You're not going to carry external drives around with you everywhere and have them plugged in all the time.

If durability is more important than weight you may want to look at Dell's latitude rugged range instead, although they are heavier and more expensive.

3. marcaass

marcaass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. I'll have a better look at the dell website.

What is your opinion on the dell outlet?

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    I've bought other refurbished devices from the manufacturers and not had a problem. I'd be a bit wary of buying something with a screen as you're more likely to get dead pixels/backlight bleeding but if they don't particularly worry you then you can get some good discounts.

5. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I got my XPS13 from Dell Outlet and it's great. I must have bought about 20 PCs for myself and other people over the years and I think I've only had one problem which Dell did their best to fix.

6. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,064
    A lot of outlet computers are either older lines that have been replaced with newer parts or items that have been returned under Direct Selling Regulations (or whatever it's called now) and don't have any defects or required refurbishment.

Even if it does have bad pixels you can still return it under DSR without reason.

I've bought loads of laptops from the Dell outlet for family and myself and never had an issue with any of them. In order to get the real bargains you need to login multiple times per day and pounce when you see what you want.
    For example I was looking for an Alienware laptop a while ago for my nephew. Loads available all around the same spec for £650, checked multiple times per day and there's a few lower down and a couple with a monster spec at £1000+. Then two come up that have a 4K screen as opposed to 1080p, a newer and better graphics card, larger SSD and double the RAM. Extra cost over the ones at £650..... £40.