Xperia z5 charging from USB, not mains

Goof

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a Z5 compact off here a while ago, always had a problem with it mostly only charging using the bundled Sony cable, so it probably wasn't right from the start. Last week I got up in the morning and the phone wouldn't power up. Eventually got it back to life with a hard reset (holding power and volume up).

It's now charging fine from the computer's USB (which I know is a lower voltage) but when plugged into the mains, the charging cycles on and off in regular 5 seconds intervals.
Tried googling but haven't found any explanations yet, anyone else seen this?

Your computers USB isn't "a lower voltage" they're all (USB sockets) a standard 5V.
It's the current capacity which is usually limited to 1A.
It sounds as though the mains charger may be faulty...or the cable which you've stated "probably wasn't right from the start" so best to start by trying replacements.

Download ampere from the playstore it will show you how the phone is charging

An app isn't going to help the OP if he has a hardware fault.

Might tell him if its the cable or charger, if he can see a reading on the screen while he's trying different cables and chargers, it's free and can't do any harm.

Thanks for the replies. I presumed the slower charging via USB meant lower voltage (though probably lower amperage? Been a while since my last physics class!).

It makes things all the more peculiar, I've tried a combination of cables & chargers. All work on the Mrs' Samsung Galaxy. The Sony cable that does work via PC USB doesn't seem to work with any other mains charge adaptor I've tried o_O

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom