Xperia Play..worth the buy???

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Hi there!

I currently have the wonderful HTC Desire S. and since having the phone for nearly 9 months i only had 2 updates for it. at the moment it's on Android 2.3.5 which improves upon the main home screen+lock screen, slight battery improvements, Sense UI and not a lot really.

I'm planning on selling it in favour of the Xperia Play. but, is it worth the plunge? well, let me tell my worries:

1. slightly underpowered GPU & processor; a single core 1.2Ghz with 768MB RAM phone might be better and faster than current-gen Play. (if specs were our choice)

2. not a lot of exclusive/optimised Play games (i could be wrong)

3. flip-out mechanism will be prone to dusts, damage or loosening of joints eventually (from constant use)

4. based on reviews the call ringer is slightly softer than other phones out there

5. glass is not scratch-resistant (again, i could be wrong)

6. non-swappable card slots (i.e. microSD and SIM card)

7. stuck to 2.3.5 forever?

8. battery life not-so great and easily drains when playing games more often

please tell me the the Play is the one for casual mobile gamers like me. (and one that is also good for watching movies and the usual SNS stuff, etc.)

but i could be wrong. i only saw the phone once on the Carphone Warehouse and videos on Youtube. and some reviews.

please help....

Thanks..

cokker

1. If you like tweaking there is a custom kernel (google "doom kernel") on the XDA forums, this allows you to overclock into the 2GHz range, (1.5GHz is safer).

2. 184 optimised games, not including emulators that allow you to play some PS1 and Nintendo games using the joypad (youtube "xperia play games").

3. Treat it nicely and it should last way past your next upgrade.

4. Not sure but I've heard its ok with good detail (dual speakers).

5. There is a screen protector on the phone when shipped and another in the box, they are very poor quality but the screen is made of a mineral glass stuff and is pretty tough (not 100% sure of the name).

6. Yes they are removable.

7. Nope, Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) has been confirmed by Sony around march next year. They have already started on this update.

8. Battery life is not great as Sony has installed a lot of bloatware, this is helped by rooting and installing Titanium Backup to uninstall some things but that is for advanced users.

If you love gaming then this phone will be great, if you only like to play casually now and again then something else might be better.

Last edited:

Mcdaymo

Standard Member
I bought one for£130 sim free,worth every penny.....BUT you really do have to root and overclock it to get the best out of new games-gta3 , fifa 12 etc- and the ringer is a little on the quiet side(compared to my old desire)plenty of games and a decent following on xda means it has got plenty of life in it yet....

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I bought one for£130 sim free,worth every penny.....BUT you really do have to root and overclock it to get the best out of new games-gta3 , fifa 12 etc- and the ringer is a little on the quiet side(compared to my old desire)plenty of games and a decent following on xda means it has got plenty of life in it yet....

Rooting is a simple 1 click procedure, you don't need to overclock, stock 2.3.4 works just fine with GTA, and Fifa 12, etc, and with Xloud, and even better, the added megabass tweaks, the ringer/music/games is loud as hell.

If you use your own ringtones, you have to realise that some will be mono and as the Play has decent stereo speakers, they might not be loud, or good quality.

The phones just coming into it's own, and with ICS on the horizon, it's a great purchase.

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Not keen on rooting but overclocking sounds fun. ;-)

A bit uncomfy on my hands though when i tried it. better if it is just a normal phone + a Gametel bluetooth controller for a much free-er gaming experince.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
get a 2part case for it, makes it feel firmer in the hand, it's a bit slippy without one.

And rooting is as simple as clicking a button, same with unrooting, and using the tweak app, adds faster, tweaked touchscreen, the bravia mobile engine for photo's, and videos/movies, and lets you use the gpu for the screen, which speeds up the phone, at the very least.

It's perfect for gaming, seperate controllers, pointless IMO, and something else that needs a pocket.
The inbuilt pad is great.

Last edited:

gino_76ph

Standard Member
When i said "a bit uncomfy on my hands" means when my index/trigger fingers are on the L+R shoulder buttons as the phone's back was getting in my way a little bit.

i would probably think it's better if it is just a normal phone + this Gametel bluetooth controller for a much free-er gaming experince.

has anyone tried or have heard about that? what should i do?

I'm torn between an Xperia Play or buying a dual-core phone with similar screen size and roughly the same price (like the LG Optimus 2X) then buying a £50 Gametel device.

arghhh....

MrMav11

I got a play for the son for Xmas. When the battery cover is on the power/sleep button won't work/wants to such it off.

If you remove the cover then the button works fine.

Anyone else have this? I bought online from O2, can I take it to an O2 high street store?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Sounds like either you are jamming the button with the cover, or it's jamming itself, when you put it on.
You can take it in, another rear cover might be machined differently.
Failing that, see what they say.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom