xp to media centre converter?

http://www.rlslog.net/windows-xp-to-media-center-edition-2005-converter/#comment-51252 has anybody used this and got it to connect with the 360,i have dloaded it and burnt the iso to cd ,and it works brilliantly on the pc itself cant believe actually how good it is,but for some reason when it comes to the 360 its a different matter im so close aswell media centre is showing on the 360 for 2 seconds,it basically gets as far as asking for the key code excepts thats goes to creat a user account then sais there was a problem with setup,if someone has used this some help would be appreciated as it is so close ,its a decent dload because its works brilliant on the pc itself.thanks in advance

neuty

Distinguished Member
Hello leeross.
I have exactley the same problem .I have used xp to mce coverter and on my pc everything works fine,but i cannot get it connected to my 360.
I am close to formatting and getting a complete media center instead of an upgrade.
I have read on other sites that it does not work properly .

neuty:thumbsup:

Hello leeross.
I have exactley the same problem .I have used xp to mce coverter and on my pc everything works fine,but i cannot get it connected to my 360.
I am close to formatting and getting a complete media center instead of an upgrade.
I have read on other sites that it does not work properly .

neuty:thumbsup:
no it does m8 i finally got mine working last nite just keep goin m8,i reformatted this time with pro worked 1st time,i know it does work with home aswell if u need any help let us know just dont give up i was trying for 3 days m8 then at 2.00 this morning it connected all working fine on pc and 360.good luck

Br0ken

sorry saw this thread a bit late.

i always thought that this convertor was for xp pro, not xp home? XP Professional and MCE05 are very very similar, which is why it was pretty easy to produce this convertor. I wouldn't have thought it'd been perfect with xp home.

yeah thats what i thought but on that forum there is peeps that have installed it onto home ,i must admit all the times i tryed it with home it was installing on the pc no probs but the 360 was another matter,but then last night installed it with pro worked first time its a brilliant program just need to buy that exploder 360 program now for the xvids divx etc,tversity was good but i much prefer having the actuall mce interface on the 360.

Br0ken

Could try Media Portal, its an open source media center that can have a skin so it looks like windows mc. However, i used it pre- xbox 360 so i dont know if it'll transcode divx/xvid. I'd imagine there would be a plugin that'll do it though.

neuty

Distinguished Member
I have checked and my pc is showing mce 2002 not 2005.
Could this be my problem:)

neuty

Br0ken

Ah well yes. I do think that is the problem. MCE2002 uses Media Connect to share files with the 360. Media Connect would only let you share Pictures and Music, NOT video. Both MCE2002 and Media Connect are now officially not supported by Microsoft.

If you want to stream video you'll have to upgrade to 2005 to keep the Windows MCE interface.

Or like I said before, check out Media Portal.

yeah no mine says 2002 and mines working fine with the interface,i didnt install media connect not on my system just checked all i installed was the network framework 1.1 then restart,then went to windows updates installed network framework 1.1 sp1 then restart then installed mce pre roll up,then roll update 2 then went to xbox.com/pcsetup for the extender thats it works fine for me now

just remember to restart after every install for it to work.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Leeross i have done exactly what you said a couple of times but when i run the xbox.com/pcsetup it starts to install then after the third step it comes up with set up error and i cannot continue.
My setup is an orange livebox i have tried many port settings but no luck.

i got a little further once by turning off my firewall ,it allowed mw to enter the code and then again it failed to install.

i'll keep trying:thumbsup:

neuty

well all can say then m8 is keep going took me 3 days to get it right good luck.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Any ideas what to try ?

except for formatting i think i've tried everything.
1 tried reinstalling xp to mce converter . no luck.
2 tried every port setting . no luck.
3 tried with no firewall. no luck.
4 i've followed all the instructions on install . no luck.

i would love to get this working

neuty:mad:

Br0ken

neuty, are you installing the convertor on top of xp home or xp pro?

i got it to work by doing a complete fresh install with xp pro,soon as that had installed didnt install any anti virus install the converter b4 anything else.heres how in did mine. 1.installed network framework 1.1 off the cd rebooted.2 installed mce of the cd rebooted.then went to windows updates only installed network framework 1.1 sp1 thats it no others rebooted,then installed the pre roll up of the cd rebooted,then the actuall roll up update 2 of the cd reboot,then the roll update 2 again reboot,then went to www.xbox.com/pcsetup to get the extender dont install the media connect as i didnt do this just the extender then reboot hopefully m8 it will work for u worked 4 me id suggest doin it with a clean install dont install anything else just do that first it should work u wont have to change any of ur port settings as the extender will do that for u hope this helps.

neuty

Distinguished Member
viru.doshi , when i bring up system properties it reads
system :
Microsoft Windows xp
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Regestered to:
--------
--------
--------

WinXp Professional
AMD Athlon[tm]XP 3000+
2.17 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Hope this helps.

leeross,
I may do a new install as i've only re built my pc just over a week ago so it's no great shakes to start again.

I think this is the best way to go now.
i have tried Tversity and found it to buggy. Not tried any others.

thanks to you both
neuty

no probs,i didnt like tversity this is alot better actually having the interface on the 360 makes the difference.

Br0ken

Hmm, maybe check your event viewer before doing a fresh install, if services are failing there might be a log in there that could give you a hint.

neuty

Distinguished Member
thanks
i'm gonna have another play for a couple of days and report back.:smashin:

neuty

bubs999

Could try Media Portal, its an open source media center that can have a skin so it looks like windows mc. However, i used it pre- xbox 360 so i dont know if it'll transcode divx/xvid. I'd imagine there would be a plugin that'll do it though.

I got this straight from their FAQ

Does MediaPortal support media extenders like the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

* At the moment there are no media extenders that work with MediaPortal. As a developer you are more than welcome to add support for those.

According to that it won't work with the Xbox 360. I'm using Tversity and its good, but it just lists everything in one big list on the Xbox.

Br0ken

Cheers, saves me looking it up. Shame its not winter or else i might of spent to cold nights seeing if i could develop the support. But i'd rather be out doors in the sun right now!

neuty

Distinguished Member
YES I GOT IT
I did a re install and all is ok

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks
neuty

good to hear m8, at last its worth the effort in the end,its deffo the clean install that helps it worked first time for me like that,also for divx xvid this transcode360 seems to do a good job. laters

Broxi1979

YES I GOT IT
I did a re install and all is ok

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks
neuty

Did you start with XP Home or Pro, I have Home on mine and only have a Home Edition, which from reading this thread it sounds like that wont work?

neuty

Distinguished Member
I;m really not sure , but you are best with Pro because it's a very similar operating system to MCE.
Follow leeross method and with patience it works , i can vouch for that.
good luck.
MCE looks much better on an xbox 360 :thumbsup:

neuty

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Creative releases Stage 360 Soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba reveals 2021 UK TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for October 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor