1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by higenbs1, Jan 12, 2005.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

I've searched these and the PCGuide forums and cannot find a solution to this problem in any other post

When I installed Windows XP on my newly built PC, it asked me to format the HDD, which I did as one partition, it then appeared to be installing XP, and I got all the Microsoft propaganda text, and product key registration, and at the end of it it rebooted and now it keeps asking to Boot from the CD, as if it won't recognise the HDD.

What's strange is that it lists both IDE devices when you first turn it on. I've connected the HDD to IDE 0 as Master, and CD-ROM to IDE 1 as Master, as I've two IDE controllers on the motherboard.

I've tried playing with the Boot order, i.e. setting to HDD first, then CD-ROM, the Floppy - I've even tried all three levels as HDD, but it still asks for CD-ROM. When I put CD Rom in, it then starts installing Windows again, even though it lists the previous install (i.e. it asks me if I want to repair). I did this incase the previous install didn't work, and it still wants to boot from CD.......Grrrrrrrr!!!!

I read somewhere about when you format the partition, it may have been formatted as inactive, and about using FDisk to sort this, but surely with only one partition it should default to active. Could it be the IDE cable - although it does recognise the HDD and is certainly writing to it whilst installing XP

Any ideas would be great as I'm stumped

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What happens if you power on without the CD?, what does the BIOS say?

Windows setup must be recognising the HDD, it knows there's a file system there because it's asking if you want to repair it.

It sounds as if the setup failed and it hasn't installed the boot blocks perhaps, hence the BIOS can't boot it.

3. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Even without the CD, it asks for it.

That's what I can't understand - when installing XP, it clearly is accessing the hard drive, and writing to it

There are no error messages when installing XP to say anything about the boot files not working

Should I try unplugging everything, reconnecting, reformatting and reinstalling?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's asking for it??? That can't be the BIOS, if it didn't recognise the HD and there is no other bootable device then it simply goes into a sulk wwith some terse message.

What happens if you boot and DON'T select repair?

5. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If I don't select repair, it just resets and tries to boot again, and so the circle continues. I can't believe how frustrating this is - after avoiding all the potential pitfalls of actually building the PC, something as simple as a Windows install fools me!

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :confused: .. never seen anything like that at all, haven't got a clue what to suggest, nor what I'd do if it were my system. My guts tell me it's something to do with the hard disk, but Lord knows what.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    If all else fails I would boot into dos and delete the partition using fdisk rather than just reformating.
    What motherboard and hard drive are you using ? Is the hard drive correctly set to be primary master - there may be some jumpers to set. I had one motherboard some years ago that always gave me problems, I could only install windows on a certain IDE channel and then I had to move it to the faster IDE raid channel afterwards and set the motherboard to boot from SCSI device first , even though it wasn't a SCSI hard disk - so I know what you're going through !
    I'll have another think and see if I can come up with anything else in the meantime.

8. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stupid question, but I presume that the install was completed, as it does reboot part way through and it will show the screen asking to boot from cdrom; it will normally pass this automatically and continue with the install.
    Just a thought.

Ken

9. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Have you tried going through the initial install process again?

It sounds (as Kragorn says), as if the setup process hasn't completed correctly. If everything is connected ok, and you've set the bios to boot from the HD then there's no reason that it shouldn't work - it's fairly foolproof (apologies if that's a poor choice of words ;)),

It may be worth re-formatting, and running through the install procedure once more just to rule out a software problem.

Kelvin.

11. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Does your Motherboard have on chip Serial ATA HDD connections - the bios may be directing Win to try booting from this?

12. Cullea

Cullea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is relevent, but how big is the HD/Partition and what level of XP are you installing? Win XP needs SP1 to use Partitons over 137GB.

Can't really explain why you can install but not run, but it could be the drivers/IDE Mode used by the install routine can see the HD, but XP bootblock can't.

Anyway, even if the above is bull, I'd re-run the setup - delete the existing partition - create a smaller partition - personally i'd keep C: at 10-15GB - and once XP is installed and running, patch it and create a second partition.

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you anti-virus protection turned on in the BIOS? The Windows installer should detect it, but with this turned on the setup program can't write the boot blocks .. unlikely since you're getting that 'insert CD' message but I'm not convinced I understand where that's coming from.

14. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Still sounds to me like installation wasn't completed.

Ken

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Indeed I agree, the problem is it doesn't seem to be giving any indication as to why. :(

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I know what you are going through, having had my HCPC very stable and being extremely pleased with it (and myself for building it :smoke: ) for the past few months, this weekend it decided to do exactly the same as you have described and just would not boot into windows at all.

I had the os partitioned so reinstalled in that partition and it booted fine after the reinstall but once i loaded a few drivers and rebooted it kept doing the same thing. I then reformatted the entire disk and tried a reinstall and it just wouldnt have it, i now keep getting a message that it cannot read the hard drive (or words to that effect), even though the bios is recognising it (it is a sata drive).

I have just sent the hd back to ebuyer so will hopefully get another one sometime next week. I hope it is just the hard drive that as gone as trying to diagnose a fault (especially if you are not very experienced with pcs, like me) is just a nightmare.