1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xp pro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GCDB, May 11, 2005.

1. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I am thinking of purchasing xp pro os from ebay.What do i need to look out for as i want an original and want to recieve updates from microsoft. Coa?
    Also would it be possible to put the xp pro that i buy on my fathers computer as well legally? He lives at a different address and would he recieve updates? though not as important.
    What should i expect to pay and how can they seem... to sell them for £40 as it seems that the normal price is well over £100.
    Sorry for all the questions and i hope someone can point me in the right direction.
    Gav

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They tend to be 'Dell OEM' copies. These are intended to be shipped already installed on Dell machines. Microsofts licence T&C's state that it is not for resale. They will work and you will get updates, but if you want to be strictly legal then don't touch them.

You can get Generic OEM copies of XP Pro for ~£90inc. For these to be legal they must be sold with an item of 'non-peripheral hardware' (Non-peripheral being something like a disk drive, memory or a cheap 50p case fan - not keyboards and mice though). This can be installed on the PC legally, provided you install the H/W it was bought with. This is the cheapest legal way to install XPPro on you machine.

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's also worth noting that a lot of software being sold by people who buy Microsoft Action/MSDN Packs and split them. It is illegal to do this also.
    I got stung to the tune of £380 for a couple of copies of W2003 Server (I got my money back and they got screwed over by M$ in hte end though), so beware

4. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Also each legit xp pro, can only be installed legally on one machine, unless you have a multiple license.

5. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    The point about installing the same licence on your Dad's PC, although it would no doubt work and recieve updates, you would be in breach of the agreement and therefore it would be illegal.

As u-SM said it best to by an OEM version with some cheap hardware if you want a cheap legit copy.

6. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for speedy response all,
    Looks like pops is stuck with his win me and i'd better start saving some more then.

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The agreement for Windows XP pro actually says you can install on 2 PCs

I have it installled on 2 PCs and would whether the agreement said so or not but it says 2 PCs

8. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Where does it say that?

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not for the OEM version it doesn't. The retail version does as part of that licence aggreement is that you can move it onto another machine later. The OEM is tied to the hardware it was bought with

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not read it anywhere but when i rang to activate my copy of Windows XP Pro i asked the guy on the phone and he says you can install on 2 different PCs within the agreement.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    End of the day most people dont care :) with all the people pirating Windows XP they should be happy enough that the persons actually bought a copy lol and not worry about installing on 2 PCs

Theres nothing stopping you installing on 2 PCs apart from your concience, personly my concience does not bother me one bit when it comes to installing MS software on 2 PCs lol but thats me.

P.S OEM versions of XP which come with a laptop/PC etc can be installed on a 2nd PC and activated quite easily, Microsoft do not ask any questions.

12. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Admittidly it is incredible easy to get round the licence agreement on XP through the legitimate channels, but that wasn't the question originally asked. Most people I know have XP installed from a licence code that is also used on 2 or 3 other machines.

I don't have any problems with people using codes more than once on home PC's, but I strongly believe if you are using it on a work PC you should be fully licenced.

That's my 2p worth.

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with that, Businesses should defo have legally licensed versions, home users though i dont see anythign wrong with registering on2 machines.

14. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HI,
    Got me xppro but want to ask a question.I downloaded all updates(dial up modem i have) and it took an age,not to meantion all the other updates(antivirus,nero etc).Is there a way of backing all these up as i dont want to have to download all this again if i have a problem.
    Gav

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    No, I don't think you can back these up, but you can back up your whole hard drive so that if you do have to do a re-install you can get it back to the state that it is in now.

There are many different utilites to do this, XP has a back up utility built-in which works ok. You export the back up file to say, a second hard drive or partition. Then if you do a clean install you can import the back up file as soon as windows is re-installed.

16. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for reply,
    Will it back up to a couple of dvd-r's as i have a dvd writer.?

17. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M$ will send you a CD with the latest updates on if you ask them nicely

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129

I think most of the drive imaging systems will back up an individual image split across multiple dvds. Bear in mind the image file can be quite large though.

I use Acronis True Image and its saved my neck countless times . I wouldn't be without it now. It makes living with a PC that much easier. However I just write the image files to a seperate hard drive..this is probably going to work out cheaper and more reliable in the long term than burning to disc.