1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro.....Remote Desktop.......what the??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a network using a Netgear DG824 - all is OK, apart from Remote Desktop that is :(

I can browse, move files etc...between all PCs (& my Axim - wirelessly), but can't log into any PC on the network using Remote ...

Keep getting told of Account restrictions...

Am logged in as Admin on all PCs (don't use windows passwords), but try to log in remotely & I'm asked for username & password.

Any ideas guys? How do I set up permissions?

In Remote desktop properties, I'm only allowed to allow users of the PC I'm on. If I search the network I get the network name but clicking it says "no terminal servers......".

At this stage I'm....

[​IMG]

Help :(

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Kramer

Remote links can't be made to XP machines using;

username: administrator
    pass: (blank)

It's a security thing! You've got to go to control panels and set up a new user. The downside is it's a real pain and screws with your nice clean auto log-in if you have it.

Check out this thread;

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

For an alternative. i installed VNC at the weekend and am never going back. I can control both my PCs (Win XP and Win 2000) from my Mac and no special user accounts required. Also, it allows proper control of HTPCs without forcing a pretend video card which makes powerstrip a no no.

Say no to Microsoft (as much as possible).

Peter

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree that you have to use an account with a password.

My htpc has a single user with no password which means it auto logs on when it boots. I also have an administrator account with a password set up on that machine for when I remote log into it.

This works fine but when you log off it goes back to a log on screen where you have to click "user" to get to the desktop.

I tried one of the vnc versions (I think theres Tight VNC and Real VNC, I cant remember which one I tried) and found it appalling in comparison to the microsft one.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys ;)

OK, have now used both XP's in-built Remote Desktop app & VNC. VNC is a pretty nice piece of s/ware - did everything it said on the tin :D

XP's Remote Desktop is better IMO - just a pain having to have a passworded log-on.

It also logs out/blocks access from anyone already logged in IIRC - not ideal. VNC - fun to watch someone else (i.e. the other half) playing Solitaire when she's supposedly "working" :rotfl:

Kind of "stealth spying" (just tick "view only - inputs ignored" in VNC viewer).

One final question for the networking gurus among us:

Is it possible to communicate between 2 (or more) PCs on the network? I mean via voice.

Say 2 networked PCs both have mics & speakers connected/setup. How would I go about "talking" to someone in the house from the office etc.....?

More software I suppose :(

Thanks again for the help guys :smashin:

5. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    You could use windows messenger - you could even get one of those logitech webcams with a mic built in and see each other. It's not an instant way of communicating as you have to request a webcam session, but it works and it's free

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You can change this in

Control Panel->Perfomance & Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Local Security Policy

Browse to Local Security\Security Options and change the setting for "Limit Account Use of Blank Passwords to Console Logon Only"

As far as I know there's no way to alter the fact that logging in remotely logs off the local user though :-(

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Only if you use XP if you use w2k server or newer you can have multiple remote and local sessions.

Messenger works great either locally or with mates across the net and best of all its free and included as part of a standard xp install or a free download from microsoft for older machines.

8. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use a thing called Teamspeak 2 that I use for my gaming clans. You just run a server instance on once machine and then multiple clients connect. I've had 10 players accessing one of my machines on a 512k line and still been able to play medal of honor. You can play around with the codecs as well for optimal use but everything set high it's better than the phone. Basically voice over IP.

http://www.teamspeak.org/

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerbil

You the man :smashin:

Passworded log-on gone again, that "tweak" has sorted that. Thanks ;) .

Off to look at messenger now......well, tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

:)