XP OS Question

Theunrealone

Standard Member
Hey

My dell PC has broken and I'm going to buy a new PC with no OS. I have 2 windows XP product key's one on a laptop and the other on my dell PC. I heard you can download a XP image and my question is this:
Can I download the windows XP image onto a CD from my laptop and install that on my new PC and if so how?

Thanks

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Legally no , one license , one machine , no exceptions.

Unless the downloaded copy is coming from Microsoft and is paid for , what you want to do is illegal , not to mention the fact that what your downloading could be riddled with trojans designed to harvest credit card numbers and bank details and so on.

If your talking about copying the XP that originally came with your laptop to another machine , then unless its a full retail license its still illegal , copies that come with laptops are usually OEM , and tied to the machine it came with.

Theunrealone

Standard Member
Yeah but I brought the Dell PC and they didn't give me a windows XP CD. So I should be able to download windows XP image from there site right?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
So I should be able to download windows XP image from there site right?
Even if you can , which Im not sure about , most likely it will be a recovery image , its still tied to the original machine.

Badger0-0

Can I download the windows XP image onto a CD from my laptop and install that on my new PC and if so how?
The simple answer is yes you can.
But as advised, it's illegal.
Admin rightly frowns on this so I won't be allowed to point you in the right direction.

Again as advised, downloads that are available have usually been tampered with.

Dell only have recovery downloads, which are basically driver discs.

I'm not sure I agree with an OS being tied to one single machine, but that's the way it is and even though you've paid for it, it will have been at a discounted rate.

That said, working on the assumption that you somehow are going to get the comp fixed (;) :rolleyes:) surely you must know someone that has an install disk?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom