• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

XP on SSD

adrian7396

Standard Member
I have win7 HP upgrade from XP, if put it on an SSD will the XP base cause a problem on SSD, i read somewhere that there has to be special configuration settings for XP to go on SSD. I could see if microsoft will let me transmute win7 to the proper thing.

next010

Distinguished Member
If the SSD has no OS on it then just do the registry trick for upgrade installs on a clean system that makes is activate, still works last I tried. All Windows 7 discs are the same so you should get the custom/clean install option.

Set the SATA controller in the bios to ACHI mode beforehand, for best performance with SSD drives.

WinXP does not support ACHI or TRIM (essential for maintaining performance of SSD) so you would have to use third party drivers to get the ACHI controller working or install the SSD in SATA-IDE compatibility mode but you will lose TRIM support, it is possible to change over to ACHI post upgrade of Windows 7 with some modifications.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom