1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP on a 700mhz celeron 160MB...worth it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Quantum, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Quantum

Quantum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My friend want to use an old 700mhz celeron with 160MB memory as a media server. He wants to know if its going to run ok with XP. The reason he wants to use XP is it will serve to an apple mac and he understands it is easier to do networking XP to mac than 98SE to mac.
    Can someone give me advice on XP for this machine?
    Thanks

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have run xp on a machine with that little ram but you need to make sure that all of xp's themes and main features are turned off else it will run reeeeaaaallllly slow. Goto administrative servervices/services and disable anything thats not used as that will help as well.

On your other point I thought macs would only talk to server not xp although you may be alright for just an internet connection.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tell him to get 128-256mb more ram - it will make a huge difference, especially with XP.

I have 2 old pcs running XP - 500/550mhz respectively but both have 600mb ish of ram so run fine.