1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Media Center Edition

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John Elsden, Apr 24, 2004.

1. John Elsden

John Elsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping to build a HCPC and was hoping to use Windows XP Media Center Edition, unless anyone has any better ideas. but I have never seen it advertised. Firms like Mesh and Evesham use it in their multimedia models but where can you buy it?

2. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I a word you can't buy it.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    XP MCE only comes on ready built PCs.

Probably to save Microsoft having to support lots of different hardware and standards.

The real idea of MCE is to make the PC a consumer product like a DVD player or a VCR and not have to worry. Of course there is actually XP Pro hiding in the background.

4. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a quick note:

Im thinking about doing the same thing and have come up against the same problem.

Ive just bought the latest edition on PC Format which has a load of programs on the coverdisk that it says will do the same jobs as Media Center is designed to do.

5. John Elsden

John Elsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that information mrmcdean I'll look out for the copy in the shops. A programme mentioned in this forum is Showshifter but I'm not sure about the compatability with all video cards.