XP made me activate again

HMHB

Distinguished Member
On bootup today XP decided that I needed to reactivate because of hardware changes. The strange thing is that I have done some hardware changes but the last one was about 3 weeks ago, so am confused about why it's asked me now :confused:
Anyone any ideas why I had to do this now ? It did activate OK online by the way.

Nu Breed

tell me about it!!!! :mad:
i have some mini sized pc's for web, email, audio etc.
i swopped some memory around in the one, & swopped out a laptop dvd in the other, both threw up reactivation (Legal XP pro) even tho it was 1 piece of hardware change in each pc since last activation??!! just slaphead idiocy !

right, after you reactivate, back up your activation. navigate to -
c drive > windows >system32..
locate 'wpa.dbl' & 'wpa.bak'
copy them and archive into a folder in 'my documents' & put onto external media for extra precaution.

now, if you wish to change something around, for testing or whatever you will be able to restore your original activation by..

start in safe mode. now in system32 folder find & delete the 'current' activation files (wpa.dbl, wpa.bak), locate the 'backup' activation files and place in system32.

your back to normal.

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrr..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom