1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Help pls. Anyone know whats going on!?!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cool-hand, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Mod, pls move if in wrong forum!!!

Hope someone can advise, I can't be the first one to see this error message.
    Does anyone know how to correct/fix this problem on Windows XP Home.

When I put certain discs in the cd-rom drive I get this message.

"Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows"

Its driving me MAD!!! :mad: :mad: :suicide:

Regards

CH

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What do you think is on the CDs that are failing? Why do you think that Windows is not correctly reporting that the discs are either unreadable due to media errors or that their contents are something Windows doesn't know how to handle?

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi G

I have the original of MS Works (word, etc...) and it refuses to boot or even be recognized by XP with SP2 upgrade. but if i put it in my other lap top it works fine.

But if i put say 'bt broadband' install disc in, it works fine in both machines.

Not too sure which way to look. a google search on the above error message leads me to think a strange cd-rom error is occuring.... v very weird!!
    Not really expecting anyone to help here as its such an odd fault, just hoping maybe someone has seen it before, esp. as there seems to be alot of computer bods on the forum!?!?

Thanks

CH

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I see what you're getting at.

If the CDs work in another PC then it's a pretty good bet the CD drive in your PC is duff, or at least 'marginal' meaning it can manage to read some and not others. This can happen if the lasrer is very slightly off 'true' .. imagine and old-style vinyl record where the tip of the needle is very slightly off to one side of the groove (optical disks have a 'sort of' groove) .. it'll mis-read from time to time causing errors on some media. It'll try to recover and often will be able to, other times it won't and you'll get the error.

Other causes are possible, other hardware problems with the CD drive's electronics etc. More unlikely I'd say is the chance of an IDE controller error, but given some CDs work and others don't (and I'm assuming those that don't never do) then I'd bet some good money on the drive.

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    good bet is to get a CD Lens cleaner. This is about £5-10 or you can borrow a friends and is always good to have handy. I have found it to work very well in xboxes that have stopped reading DVD's.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    funny you say that! I tried getting my dvd lens cleaner to run but it wont start either...... Do i need a specific lens cleaner for a cd-rom??

thanks

ch