XP firewall question

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've just turned on the XP firewall and now can't access a printer on another computer and also it won't list computers on the network.
Is the XP firewall so crap that you can't configure it to allow access you computers on your own network ?

yep.. :rolleyes: don't think it's configurable at all.

It was a kne-jerk reaction to all the security probs with 2000, so they've used the sledgehammer approach to cover themselves ( IMO )

How are you connected up JohnG?

If you've got a router with firewall this will provide all the external protection you need ( assuming NAT & SPI are turned on), then just a regular virus scanner for picking up trojans coming from webpages you visit..

Why not use ZoneLabs 'Zonealarm' instead... it's free to use and is customisable and simple to setup.

I've found it most excellent on a small home network of PC's

I do have a router with a NAT firewall and Norton Antivirus.
Norton doesn't provide me with any cover whatsoever with trojans or dodgy script running on a web page. The other day I had something install itself on my computer without me clicking on anything. Norton doesn't detect spyware or anything like that.
I thought that if I enabled the XP firewall it may stop things like this happening - but it shags up the rest of the network too !!

that's pretty scary.. I've always thought Norton was s*** but i didn't realise it was that bad.. :eek:

Try Sygate Personal Firewall . The regular version is free for home use and VERY powerful. Will detect changes in any program that wants access to the network and ask you to confirm tnis is ok.

Also is very good at spotting when programs are trying to send information surrupticiously. You'll be surprised what programs send info out. Powerstrip for one appears to send error messages back without notifying you.

Nat firewall is great for incoming attacks but this is a good solution to installed programs accessing the web.

Mark.

The XP built-in firewall works ok provided you enable the correct ports/protocols.
However, it is certainly not intuitive or easy to set up.
Maybe someone has put a decent guide to it on a website somewhere - but I haven't Google'd for this.
I had to mess about with mine to get a VoIP link working properly in both directions.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

i use sygate personnel pro and its yhe best piece of software i,ve ever used, had it on my pc for over a year and its never let me down security wise

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom