• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

xp drivers after going from vista>xp (hp 6735s laptop)

claire

Established Member
I have xp pro currently installed on my hp 6735s laptop. It had vista on it too start with so this is a downgrade and i now need drivers. I managed to find most of them exept for a usb one, and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction . i tryed the hp website and cant see one if it comes to it i will burn to cd but just thought this was weird how i couldnt see a usb one or mybe i have just missed it.

claire

Established Member
Oh i see, its just when i try to plug my flash pen into the laptop it doesnt pick up on it , tryed two different parts and then also tryed with an mp3 player.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Most laptops/motherboards need system drivers and it could be that is what you are missing.
Why oh why did you downgrade in the first place.

claire

Established Member
Mmm not too sure how i would go about that is it just like normal drivers ? Cant see them on the hp site, and becaue a prefer xp to vista.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Never understood that statement "because I prefer xp to vista". To me it is going backwards.
The beauty of Vista it contains most drivers by default and if it does not have them it goes and automatically finds them, guess what XP does not.
I use both XP and Vista PC's and see no advantage of moving to XP.

Next it will be my "@" key is in the wrong place and the "£" is missing.

D

Deleted member 202217

Never understood that statement "because I prefer xp to vista". To me it is going backwards.
The beauty of Vista it contains most drivers by default and if it does not have them it goes and automatically finds them, guess what XP does not.
I use both XP and Vista PC's and see no advantage of moving to XP.

Next it will be my "@" key is in the wrong place and the "£" is missing.

It may well seem a backwards step for you, but i can assure you that a lot of programs and hardware drivers do not operate correctly with Vista ( as im sure you are aware ). I have also try'd the new Windows 7 operating system, and that too is riddled with driver problems.
XP is a stable operating system (most of the time), so why should consumers be forced to change? Only one answer..money making! I mean do you really think that if i wanted to use Vista, i would have to throw away a perfectly good printer and scanner because of no compatable driver???

Now THAT is a real backward step :suicide:

rooney

Established Member
please note if you have instaled xp pro without service pack 1-2-3 then that is proberbly what is occuring- as i think it was only after service pack 2 came out xp went plug and play properly.ive had loads of issues with people buying flash drives of me and bringing them back saying they dont work -i then ask them to bring there pc in low and behold no service packs-as soon as service pack2 is installed it works .right click on my computer then on the properties tab should tell you if you are on any service packs

how did you downgrade:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 202217

You have probably also not installed the chipset drivers for the motherboard. Go to device manager and check there are no items in the list with exclamation marks.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
how did you downgrade

@rooney - HP shipped some PC's with Vista pre-installed, but included an option to "downgrade to XP Pro." XP install CD & license key was included.

@OP - Did you apply the motherboard "inf" file updates after XP install? It'd be called something like the "chipset" or "motherboard" driver on the HP website. Or maybe look at the "softpaq download manager" and see if it manages the process of driver update for you.

rooney

Established Member
the hp 6735s comes in many variants .to have xp on this machine you would have to brought vista buisness with a free downgrade to xp pro- on first boot you get the option of what you would like to install vista buisness or xp pro. the restore discs have all the drivers etc included so drivers issues shouldnt be a problem unless discs have been missplaced.

example machine *Cashback until 30th June* HP 6735s Laptop, AMD Turion DC RM-70, 15.4" WXGA, 2048MB 800MHz DDR2(1 dimm), 160GB 5400rpm, DVD+/-RW, Broadcom 802.11a/b/g, BT, FPR, 1yr wrty, Vista Business 32 w/XP Pro Media, MSO 2007 Ready (60 day trial or 25 uses) - Eb

however if purchased a hp 6735s with vista basic or vista premuim then there is no free downgrade included and no driver discs for xp

example machine HP 6735s Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

you would have to obtain your own copy of windows xp and if it was a version prior to service pack 2-3 you would need to download those to make you flash drive work

links to hp drivers page HP Compaq 6735s Notebook PC*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom