1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Desktop Resolution

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nobber, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has any one managed to achieve a crisp clear desk top from their HTPC, if so what PJ and Video card are you using

thanks
    Nobber

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's something nearly everyone with an HTPC does .. I'm not sure you're asking the right question. :)

Do you understand what 1:1 mapping is? This is where you set your desktop resolution to match the native panel size of your display. When you do that each pixel in the image fits exactly into 1 pixel in the display, just like it does when using, say, an LCD computer monitor.

To do this it's often necessary to use Powerstrip to set the resolution you need, though depending on the graphics card you may be able to do it
    with the cards' own drivers.

3. Ar-Jar

Ar-Jar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might have replied before... sorry if I repeat myself. The only way I can get that much coveted 1:1 mapping is using VGA to the pj. With the right Powerstrip tweaks i can tune my HS10 into accepting 1368 by 768. Very crisp and very 1:1. But only one frame rate. And the wrong one. With any other protocol than the VGA (such as DVI/GRB) my pj overscans. This mean that it's very hard (if not impossible) to get a 1:1 mapping. But a PAL DVD has only 576 lines so this is not a big issue (until you start playing HiDef materia). And if I have to choose between a 1:1 mapping and the correct frame rate i choose the correct frame rate.

-A

4. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

Yeah I mean 1 to 1 I have set the desktop to 1366*768 which is the native resolution for the PJ, but I get overscan and a blurry picture, I have a Sony VPL VW11HT and a Nvidia 6600GT

I have to feed the PJ with a component signal as there is no vga on it! I have given up with this PJ as I do not believe it is possible to get a crisp clear desktop without overscan, I have also posted questions re this issue here and on AVS but no one appears to have a solution

My 6600GT has 2 DVI and 1 component output, so I will probably have to junk the card for a 6600gt with DVI & VGA then buy a Sony HS50 PJ..........

When will it end!

Nobber

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've seen in the past people have problems with this resolution projector, as far as I can make out it's because the horizontal resolution isn't a multiple of 8 which seems to upset the graphics card.