1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Corporate help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A while back I bought a PC from Ebay which is working fine. It has XP Pro on it but came with no disk or sticker. I have tried and failed to upgrade to SP2 and I'm now told that I have a bad corporate key' and that my copy of XP is probably illegal. Which is nice.

So, I need to rememdy the situation. I don't really want to bother with a re-format as I have loads of stuff on the PC but I could at a last resort. I have seen people selling legitamate boxed versions of XP Home for not much and figure that is the way to go to become legal again (I assume it's legal to buy a second hand OS)!

If I buy a CD and key sticker, what is the best way of installing it. Can I just do a repair install and enter the new key, bearing in mind that I'm putting Home over Pro? Or do I really need to think about a full format?

2. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'm not sure about re-entering a new key - but I'm fairly sure that the key types for Home, Professional and Corporate are not interchangeable i.e. a Home edition key will not work when installing from a Corporate disk and visa-versa. If you have a Corporate edition on your PC, then you will need a valid Corporate key.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think I'll just buy a copy of XP home and reformat. At least it'll all be legit and I can be sure it'll work in future then.

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Steve,

Be careful what version of XP you buy if you're going for 2nd hand. If it's just a disk and sticker, that'll be an OEM version, that should be sold with an item of "non-perpheral hardware" only. Normally it's sold with a new PC.
    Technically therefore, you're not licensed (although it'll almost certainly work just fine). A boxed (retail not OEM) 2nd hand copy is the legal routine.

The other alternative is to buy a brand new OEM copy of XP, and treat your PC to a new hard disk or stick of RAM (I know for sure that HDDs count). A hardware vendor will be happy to quite legally supply this to you.

There is a way of changing the serial number incidentally - but it would need an XP Pro number, not XP home I imagine.

http://www.mwright.plus.com/xp.htm

If it was me, I'd buy a new 40 quid HDD and a new £70 OEM XP home disk/sticker - then I know what I'm getting.

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Don't try to put a copy of XP home over any other version (Pro) it will end in tears.....If you do change from your current version to home I'd format the disk and start from scratch......You can always back up all your documents and settings first and re-apply them. Don't forget that if you have XP office or Office 2003 it will need activating again which means a long grovelling call to MS to get them to let you......If the copy you have is as iffy as the OS then it might be better to shaft the bloke that sold it to you and see if MS give you a reward (i.e. a copy of XP pro!) :rolleyes: