1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Based HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jenz, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note to say I've been experimenting with an XP based HTPC and so far the results are favourable.

I'v managed to get a nice, easy (read Kids friendly) interface running and proper usage of S-Video, Composite (both via Falcon Card) and Mutliregion DVD.

Obviously it's very stable.

If you have any questions fire away.

Jenz.

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    I'm currently running XP (RC1 2505) on my main machine.
    I've not put it on the HTPC yet as I'm going to test the software on my machine first to make sure everything runs OK.

Drivers are popping up all over the place for various bit 'n' pieces so overall I can't see a problem.

Will wait for my new chip and mobo to turn up then do the swap all in one :)

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    Just had a quick look for some Soundblaster Live XP drivers but there are none on their site.
    Do you reckon the Win2k drivers will work as that is basically what XP is based on.

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently they do work but do not contain the full feature set of the Liveware drivers yet.

Jenz.

5. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jenz

What are you using to build the UI?

John

[off - topic ramblings]

I'm really annoyed I used to be on MSDN which meant that I got sent DVD's with basically every MS product on them every month. I've been off that for a few months and already I'm itching to have a good play with the new ones.

I had a play with RC1 but drivers were a big problem and it crashed with my dxr2 card.

Anyway looks like there are some good programming features in there to do with DVB that I can't wait to have a play with.

[ 24-10-2001: Message edited by: JohnAd ]

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, actually I'm curreently looking at customised Limited User Profiles to lock down the main Interface. I'm seeing some unusual issues with certain apps. Powerstrip for example doesnt like it.

Theres some other stuff in there too ;)