1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xover settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Oct 28, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in assuming that as I have no sub, I should set the xover frequency on my amp to as low as it will go? I was lacking in bass on CD's so decided to have a fiddle and found that all were set to around 200. I whacked them all right down to 40 and the sound is much better.

Did I do the right thing? I'm not quite clear on how this setting works but assume that any frequencies below the set figure are diverted to the sub so if you have it set to higher than your speakers can go low (eh?) then you are missing something.

Am I anywhere near?

S

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp have you got?

You should select "No Sub" in the amps bass management when there is no sub connected.

By selecting "No Sub" the amp normally sets main speakers to large, then another option may be available to you to select LFE/LFE+Mains, select Mains, don't think there are any amps that will let you select the mains to small when "no Sub" is selected anyway, my Denon doesn't.

If speakers are set to large and no sub is selected I don't think adjusting the amps xover will do anything, could be wrong, depends on the amp I suppose.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Sony 1080 and it's just the same. I can see I mis-understood the manual the first time and set fronts to small. Now I have them on Large I cannot play with Xover settings. My manual says the small setting is just if you want to re-direct lower frequencies to the sub. As I don't yet have one, that would be a bit silly innit.

Thanks for your help.

S

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sure would. :D

When/what sub are you hoping to get?

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Ruark Contemporary R speakers which i am really happy with and am looking at the Log-Rythym. Only problem is the sheer size. I like the look of the Rel Quake as it would be possible to tuck it away somewhere. I'm not a big bass freak but I would like it to be there. Would rather it was tuneful than slammin.

S

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The REL Quake has had dissapointing fed back by all accounts, haven't heard it myself so can't really comment. I ran a REL Q50 for a year, a remarkable sub, very small, very good with movies/music. The REL Q100 is also very good. from what I've read REL have taken a few steps back with their new models which is a shame.

Good luck for your future purchase.

:)

7. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a big bass freak but I would like it to be there. Would rather it was tuneful than slammin.

Was looking for similar performance and invested in MJ Acoustics Pro 50 and have not been disappointed. Just takes time to get settings that please your ear.

Rgds

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If speakers are set to large and no sub is selected I don't think adjusting the amps xover will do anything, could be wrong, depends on the amp I suppose.

If Sub=NO the fronts (mains) must be LARGE. However the x-over setting still applies to any other speaker declared as SMALL (e.g. center and/or rears).
    If all speakers are set to LARGE then the x-over setting will be ignored.