1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xover settings on Lexicon MC-1?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nathan_silly, Mar 31, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should be getting a Lexicon MC-1 soon. I've noticed you can set the speakers to Large, Small 40hz, Small 80hz & Small 120 hz.

If I set to large then frequencies under 40hz will be sent to the speakers? But of of course they aaren't full range speakers so if I set to Small 40hz, I'm getting the most of the bass out of my speakers, but the amp is not recieving very low bass? (which the speakers can't reproduce)

Here's my speaker specs..

Mains-36hz
    Set this to small, 40hz?

centre-55hz
    Set this to small, 40hz?

sides-57hz
    Set this to small, 40hz?

rears-70hz
    Set this to small, 80hz?

Subwoofer-18hz

Thanks

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    I'd go with Small 80 for everything except the mains, which can be Small 40. You always want the crossover to be within the operating range of the speaker, rather than beyond the -3dB point. This should produce the best sound, although the rule as always is to experiment.

Good sig BTW, your own work or an online translator?:devil:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if I set centre to small, then sound from 55hz-80hz is not reproduced from the centre? It will be redirected to subwoofer? I will compare both- centre bass/redirected bass, but I think I prefer the centre bass.

The speakers themselves have crossovers (not like the M&K direct mode)

Online latin translator. Anyone here know latin? :D

What do you mean the -3dB point?- please explain.

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay.

Speaker frequency ranges are usually (though not by REL or Yamaha) measured between two -3dB points, one at the top end of the frequency range and the other at the bottom. The -3dB is half the volume of the midrange. So if you crossover to the sub outside the -3dB points there will be a pronounced dip in the response curve, whereas if you crossover inside the frequency range then it should be a smoother transition between sub and satellite. All a matter of personal preference in the end though, but I find the centre sounds much closer in Timbre to the mains if it is crossed over inside it's frequency range.

PS I still have some lingering knowledge of Latin from my schooldays.:p

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've created a graph. Blue is what the speaker cannot reproduce. In purple the speaker can.

If set to Large- then that's what the speakers will output- low bass down to the point of LF handling of the speaker?

The subwoofer is crossed at 80hz.

And if set to small (say 80hz for all) the blue area will be in-line on all speakers at exactly 80hz? (same point as the subwoofer graph?)

Is having same-signals from 5.0 speakers and .1 subwoofer "bad?"

Attached Files:

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoops! Noticed the subwoofer graph goes all the way to 0 hertz!

It does, when it's switched off! :D

The LF is ~ 18hz.