1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas Xbox - High Def options?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Arsenal, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to ask a similar question to so many before me, but having done searches for my queries i'm still a bit confused as to my best option so please bear with me.

Anyway... having just been given an Xbox for xmas by my girlfriend (woohoo!) i'm now trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to the rest of my stuff.. Obviously it is just a standard Dixons jobby, so no chip in there, but say if i wanted to play Top Spin Tennis or PGR2 in 720p on my plasma.. is there a mod chip that would allow this but wouldn't require me soldering anything (not had much practice at soldering, and i fear i couldn't explain it to my girlfriend if i completely screwed my new xmas present)?

Also what is the deal with component and digital out on the xbox? It doesn't seem as straight forward as the ps2, which just required a normal optical cable, and ps2->component cable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Solder mod chips are available in various flavours, but you'll need one compatible with the lates Xbox (1.3 I believe). There is one called Chameleon that I know a couple of people have used successfully. You need this to enable progressive playback.

http://www.modconsole.co.uk/product.asp?productid=83

This is where I bought my Matrix earlier this year.

www.xbox-scene.com for more detailed info on chips etc.

For component & digital out you'll need a hi-def pack. These are again available from various places (Game does one), although the genuine MS one you'll have to import (worth it though) or find a UK supplier e.g.

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/XBOXHDTV.html

While you're in there fitting the chip, you may as well add a bigger drive, you'll want one soon enough. I rarely bother getting the discs out to use mine now....120Gb drives are reasonably cheap these days.

And......

Modded Xbox = Ban from XBoxLive unless you are careful.....

3. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much for the thorough reply Jason S, some good info in there..
    Sounds like maybe i should buy a couple of 120Giggers and have a go at my Sky+ box at the same time!

About the modchips, is it a hard job or is it as simple as the hard drive switch in a sky+ box.. just wondering if it would be worth sending the xbox away and getting a proper job done on it with a switch and everything?

Cheers

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mod chip should take you an hour, start to finish, it's a simple enough task with good documentation.

The hard drive swap is a little more involved if you want to keep game saves etc, otherwise it's a straightforward task using an auto installer disk (Slayer's is my preferred one, although there are others)

Figure another hour for the HDD swap, plus backup time for the original drive, if required (depends on the speed of your network)

This covers the basics, and was where I started

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/beginnersguide.php

Once you've got the hardware together, or ordered, you need things like BIOS files and installers. If you have difficulty obtaining these, PM me and I'll help you out :devil:

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    1 hour lol. the mod will take you however long you need. you shouldn't ever rush it.

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 hour is fine for a no solder installation.

Most of the work is opening the box, as mounting the chip is a case of undo a screw fit chip, and adjust till the lights are the right colour

Again for the HDD swap all you do is open the box, fit the new disc, re-assemble then use an installer disc.

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd strongly recommend that you do not attempt self install. Also you won't get 720p from most games only 480p.

Neil.

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i know what you do jason - i SOLDERED my own mod chip. What im saying, is that it'll take as long as it has to. there's no point in telling anybody it'll take no longer than an hour if theve never done anything like that before.

"oh dear, i'm over an hour now so id better hurry up"......"whoops - i dont think that was supposed to come off"

you get the idea lol.

im with NeilMcRae on this one. don't even attept it if you are unsure. Just send it off to be modded. It may cost more, but at least you know it'll be done right.

9. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alright, i'm gonna send it off to premodded.co.uk to get the work done as i just don't have the time or inclination to do it myself, i'll probably get a bigger hard disk at the same time.. now can anyone please tell me which chip would be my best bet, cos tbh from the decriptions i can't really tell the differences?

Chameleon 1.3
    X-Ecuter 2.3b Lite
    X-Ecuter 2.3b Pro

Cheers

10. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 2.3 lite Xecuter chip as it is very good value for money, and beats the specs of the chameleon:

1mb bios support (256k max on chameleon)
    disable switch
    guaranteed chip support (as team Xecuter write their own bioses)

The pro version just adds a few features which can help with game development, but from reading the thread I don't think you'll be doing that will you ;)

Rich

11. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem as you, I bit the bullet and sent it off to premodded to get a Xecuter 2.3lite and a 120gig hd fitted.It's the best thing I've ever done, premodded were brilliant and the HD opens up so much more flexibility for my Xbox.He even loads a stack of apps on the HD for you.What you're after is the enigmah videoswitch app, this lets you switch between PAL and NTSC dashboards and the beauty of it is it even stays on the NTSC Dashboard when the modchip is switched off so you can play your PAL XBOX Live games in 480p.It's a travesty that the PAL XBOX doesn't support prog scan as it makes a huge difference to picture quality.

Another excellent feature of the HD is reduced load times, Also i had an original NTSC Version of Freedom Fighters which had problems loading but as soon as i put it on the HD the problem disappeared.

You really should treat your XBOX.

12. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I`ve got an X-box with Xecuter Lite Mod-chip & use Enigmah boot disc to play PAL games on 480p on a plasma screen.

If I turn off the chip and keep it in NTSC mode - Can I still use X-box Live with 480p enabled. Obviously using original discs.

Or will X-box live not like it because the X-box has been modded - i.e turned into NTSC mode ??

Don`t want to risk a ban but there is a big difference in PQ especially on Links & Top Spin.

If there is no problem then there is no need to revert to PAL mode - PAL originals seem to work in NTSC mode with modchip off.

Thanks

Karl

13. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Question, I have a modded US machine so I can always use Xbox live games in 480p, I don't want to risk trying it out with the dashboard set to PAL. I know that XBOX Live can detect if you have the all region DVD dashboard hack running when the modchip is off so the chances are they may know you have modified the Dashboard Region.