1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas TV, or lack of it..........

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Adderson, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Adderson

Adderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm not a great fan of TV over Xmas but this year's offering seems to have been just plain bad, did they even try??
    C4 have had the same programme on prime time for the last three days!!!
    "100 greatest cilps we threw together because it's dead cheap"
    BBC1 & ITV = soap+murder mystery+soap+quiz/revamped or repaeted sit com+soap..........................

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched the greatest 'tv treats' of 2004 and I think I was away from the county for half the year, certainly don't remember most of the items. However Rebecca Loos and the pig made me laugh again! :D :devil:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I got up yesterday morning and the Morecombe and Wise was half way through be time I had switched on. As it had not been shown for 26 years, why did thy not show it later in the day instead of all the soaps and murder programs.
    Thank goodness I got hold of some new DVD’s and had company round.

The best things for me have been the History of Britain and the Seven Wonders of the Industrial Age. Both repeat.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Best thing for me has been the MR James ghost stories. Thanks again Garrett for the heads-up on these - i doubt i would have come across them, being tucked away on BBC4.

5. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,554
    best thing on tv this xmas was the griswalds xmas vacation!!!

6. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Because I was having one of those crazy 'family Christmas' things, I saw stuff that other people wanted to see, which included my first (and last) episode of "Midsomer Murders" on Christmas Day.

If that's what gets the viewers on ITV, thank God that I had my "Clerks X" DVD and "ROTK: EE" Box to dip into.

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Aye, it's definitely been a poor Christmas for TV.

However, a couple of shining beacons namely 'Shameless' and the UK Gold repeats of 'Steptoe & Son' have put a big smile on my face :D

Although top award must surely go to 'Corrie' - pure Christmas pantomime. It really is a class above. And yes, i am a little embarrassed to admit that :blush:

8. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I thought the new Sherlock Holmes on the Beeb last night was pretty good...probably the best bit of Xmas telly I've seen this year! Although I've mainly been catching up on unwatched DVD's, so I haven't seen that much TV over the holidays. Then again I couldn't find much I wanted to watch when I checked the Radio Times.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Highlight for me was the repeat of the 1974 Some Mothers Do Have 'em Chrimbo special...my ribs still hurt now... :rotfl:

10. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sherlock Holmes was very good, probably the only bit of the xmas line-up I've bothered to watch.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I seem to recall this discussion coming-up on the forums last year as well.

Ultimately, it boils down to this:
    - If a channel can get away with showing something that is popular, but not necessarily good or quality TV, it will show it. After all, why pay millions for the rights to show X film on Terrestrial TV first, when you'll get almost as many people watching the channel, with the umpteenth billionth repeat of :censored: "Friends"?!
    - It should be noted, that channels seem to be less keen on innovation, and more keen on getting good viewing figures. As such, quality takes a distinct fifth or sixth seat, when it comes to Christmas TV scheduling.
    - A lot of people don't care that there are so many repeats, hence the mainstream channels keep putting them on. It's less hassle for the channels, and why should they give a damn about the few discerning viewers in the UK?! (That's a rhetorical question, by the way! ;) )
    - With DVD and Video being so popular (and cheap) as forms of entertainment, most people have seen months before, whatever the terrestrial channels give us. This happens every year, with any major film.
    - The formula of "tried-and-tested" TV is more apt at Christmas, than at any time of the year. If the weather's awful (as was predicted this year), then people are sometimes forced to watch whatever crap is being fed them. Hence, the terrestrial channels tend to get away with showing any old junk.

Like many of you, I'm just thankful for DVDs and Videos! :clap:

Pooch

12. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree that this year has been an exceptionally poor TV Christmas but since when have Christmas TV really been any good? Well not in the last couple of decades I would guess!

I'm certainly glad of my DVD collection and of what I have videoed off the telly over the last few weeks which I have been catching up with in leaps and bounds... Thank God for third watch.

For me the worst thing about Christmas is regular programming gets cancelled in favour of Christmas specials and tons of repeats. You would think with more people viewing there would be better programming but there never is. Of course unless you are a soap fanatic and the Christmas period must be fantastic.

I watched part of one of these best of TV programmes of the year and out of the 20 minutes or so I watched I had barely heard of most of them, let alone seen them. I'm not sure how they got voted best programmes of 2004 but if the general public think they are the best programmes of 2004 then they really are a bunch of muppets. If you ask me that programme was a prime example as to why British TV is complete crap and why I enjoy a steady stream of US programming.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    So did I and although I enjoyed it, I did not recognise the character as a Sherlock Holmes.

14. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Just be grateful you don't live in Canada!! I will never complain about the lack of good tv ever again for as long as I live here. Oh how I missed Morecambe & Wise, the 2 Ronnies etc etc, there just wasn't one decent programme to watch all day; even the complete showing of American Chopper was a tedious repeat!! It was that bad I went out for a walk in the snow and very cold weather!!!!

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't discount the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. The second one is on at 1155 today with the final instalment tomorrow as they're only doing 3 this year.

Yesterday's didn't seem as good as some previous ones but was interesting nonetheless. :)

16. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes on the Beeb, which was excellent. I've got some of the old black and white ones for Christmas too, so can't wait to watch them!! Wohoo!!

I also enjoyed that Christmas Lights comedy drama on ITV. I think it was on Christmas eve - most enjoyable.

And Shrek, of course! :smashin:

Downside was far to many soaps. So much shouting and arguing I made my girly switch some of them off. So negative, I like happy stuff, well... most of the time really, but especially at Christmas. Naughty Soaps!! :suicide: