1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas Pressie Woes!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all and Happy New Year :thumbsup:

I was given a surprisingly cool present this year (makes a change from socks and Lynx!) of a new DVD+RW DL burner (a Sony DRU710). This is a 2.4x DL and 16X DVD+R burner.

I installed it no probs into my Sony PC in same position as the previous DVD burner, retaining jumper setting (Master). XP recognised it instantly and so did Nero.

However, Nero reports that it is capable of 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x and no more. DVD Decrypter also reports this. I have looked at the firmware and it is BY02 which is apparently the latest.

I tried putting the drive on to the secondary position and making it Slave, but same result. 8x reported as maximum.

Anyone have any ideas as to where the missing 8x has gone? I have some 16x compatible media ready to burn plenty of projects, but nothing beyond 8x (which I admit will seem a lot better than my previous 2.4x). However, if the drive has a listed maximum of 16x I expect it to actually perform somehwere near this.

Any suggestions and help appreciated.

Nick

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    I've never even seen Nero let alone used it but the obvious place to start would be to check the Downloads area of their web site for updates to the version you have. 8x was probably the fastest write speed possible by hardware when your version of the software was released.

3. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would agree with Crocodile.
    What version of Nero do you have? The latest is V6. Try their site to update the version that you have and see if that makes any difference.
    The other issue might be that the system recognises the speed of the disk that you have in the drive, adjusting the write speed to suit, and might not be recognising your 16x disk as that speedy. Try another brand, good quality, and see if the same happens.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,542
    I would go along with updating Nero to the latest build, and make sure that your media can be used at 16x.

5. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have v6 but there is a patch available - I'll install it shortly. Leaving aside Nero for a moment, DVD Decrypter also reports that the drive is only capable of 8x, so it's not a generic thing to Nero methinks.
    Also the media is definitely 16x rated.

Any other thoughts?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    A couple of other things worth checking
    1) Is DMA enabled ? Go into the IDE controllers in device manager and make sure it's set to DMA
    2) Make sure you are using the 80 strand cable rather than the slower 40 strand cable.

7. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG
    Hmm. I have checked that DMA is enabled and it is. With regard to the cable, I used the same one that was previously connected to the burner it replaced. Given the age of the machine (approx 18 months), do you think that the cable is hindering the new drive's performance?

Nick

Edit: since I flashed the firmware to a newer version on Sony's site (which didn't add any enhancements to +R performance, according to the datasheet), the drive now reports 12x is available. Still no 16x however. I am ordering some 16x media of a different brand to see what happens, just in case the Imation media is to blame.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    My Sony DRU-510A drive kept giving errors using Nero until I changed the cable to one of the 80 strand ones, but I can't say for definite that is your problem. They aren't that much money to buy so it may be worth it.

9. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update to JohnG and anyone else who took the time:

Just received some Traxdata 16x rated media, loaded it and hey presto: 16x burning! Yay! So obviously the Imation media was to blame in regard to the +R speed mystery. Now all I need to get full speed dual platform burning is some 12x -R media - does that exist yet?

Thanks again to all

Nick