Xmas present - Choice of 2 Budget Media Players.

wizardukhere

Standard Member
I want to buy my sister and her family a budget media player for Xmas. It needs to have a hard drive, and after some research, I have found 2. The only think is though, that they don't appear to have MKV support. Can anyone tell me how important that is? It will be mainly used to play movies (via HDMI) and music. These are the two I have looked at:

MEMUP MEDIADISK FX 500 GB MEDIA HARD DRIVE review cheap prices MEDIADISK FX 500 GB MEDIA HARD DRIVE MEMUP best buy discount online uk shop

this has: Video playback: MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, DVD structure with Preview mode
Video formats: .mpg/.mpeg/.mp4/.avi/.vob/.ifo/dat
Subtitles: .srt .sub, .txt, .ssa
Photo playback: JPEG, JPG
Audio playback: MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG

The other one is:

LaCie LACINEMA CLASSIC 1 TB EXTERNAL MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE review cheap prices LACINEMA CLASSIC 1 TB EXTERNAL MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE LaCie best buy discount online uk shop

which can play (according to the list): MPEG-4, XVid, DivX, JPEG and MP3

Do you think either of them are good enough? If not, I won't be spending any more, I'll just get her something different, so I'd like to get some advice on their suitability please. Many thanks in advance.

next010

Distinguished Member
Depends really on what format your content is in, if your ripping your DVD's to the hard drive then making sure it has DVD support is a must or if the content is in DivX/AVI format then make sure it supports that.

If you have a HDD spare, buy a USB adapter for it like this or this and get a more capable media player like a WDTV Live, it may not be as elegant with 2 boxes but it can play much more content so all your bases are covered.

wizardukhere

Standard Member
I think many of the movies that can be got from ...erm certain sources, are going to be mkv files, so neither of those two will play them? Perhaps the separates as you mentioned would be the better option.

planthead

No disrespect, but that 1st device is kinda pointless,, for £15.00 more you can get a wd tv live,, and a usb stick, or even a £20,00 dvd player will play as well,,,

I dont know anything about the lacie,, but if it doesnt play mkv,, you will wish it did,, if thats not important then a modded xbox 1 would be cheaper,, and a lot better..

Top Bottom