Xmas greeting

sbowler

Have got son a laptop for xmas, and was wondering if anyone knows how i can put a scrolling greeting on it. Something like "Merry xmas son" in large coloured font and scrolling from right to left? TNX fellas and have a gadgety xmas.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
As said above - it's very easy to do this with a screen saver, included as standard as part of windows.

Right click on the desktop, click PROPERTIES, go to SCREEN SAVER and scroll down the list till you find the MARQUEE listing. Click that, then click the SETTINGS button next to it. There you can input your text, change fonts and font/backround colours etc etc....

Only thing is you need to leave it for the screen saver to kick in BEFORE he sees the laptop ;)

Have got son a laptop for xmas, and was wondering if anyone knows how i can put a scrolling greeting on it. Something like "Merry xmas son" in large coloured font and scrolling from right to left? TNX fellas and have a gadgety xmas.
You could have a nice image and add some text onto it and save as a desktop image or just stick a big bow on it that always works. :smashin:

J

jackal

Will you be my dad?..........please..........:D

huntere

There was an app I got sent a year or two ago that put flashing Xmas lights all round your screen. I'll see if I can find it.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
10 print "MERRY XMAS SON"
20 goto 10
END

Ahhhh the memories!
:D

yeah....loved it when i created this program on my Amstrad 464 that was just a simple y/n answer thing but with occasional flashing borders......knowing my friends better than they realised, i was pretty sure i could guess their answers.....so had the puter setup to give them the sense the puter actually knew them.....cant believe 3 of them believed it :D
(altho i do believe this was around time T2 came out which helped...and the alcohol....LOL)

BandWidthJunkie

Easy to do if you don't mind IE starting up when your son logs in for the first time.

1) Open Notepad
2) Copy and paste the following: -

<html>
<bodyBGCOLOR="aliceblue">
<center>
<table border=0 cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" width="100%" height="100%">
<tr>
<td width="50%">
</td>
<td nowrap>
<font SIZE=7 COLOR="#0000FF">
<marquee width=500>
Merry Christmas Son!!
</font>
</td>
<td width="50%">
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</center>
</body>
</html>

3) Save the document as greetings.html
4) Drag to greetings.html file to the Start button and drop it in All Program|Start folder

When the laptop starts up IE will load and the message will appear.

You can change the "Merry Christmas Son!!" text to anything you like.

Not a brill solution but it works!

Hope this helps.