1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XM2 Where to buy....

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ctcrm, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ... a good cheep second hand camera.

PS whats the reliability like for this cam ?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be selling one very soon, lightly used in great condition and good working order, boxed, almost as new (very slightly scratched paint around tripod socket and on hotshoe) with an OPTEX 16:9 anamorphic lens and portabrace rain slicker for this cam.

Given that the lens and the jacket retail for around £600 bought seperately I'd be looking in the region of around £1200 for the whole caboodle.

3. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sounds just what i want... but the missus would sack me if i spent that much!

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair do's, don't expect a good 'un with these worthwhile & valuable accessorries for much less

5. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how many hours have the heads had ?

have you experienced any other problems with it ?

6. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no more than fifty, all on new tapes.
    absolutely no problems with it at all, the scrathces are very very minor, well below usual wear and tear.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Roy,
    how would this cam compare to my sony TRV-900e? I'm looking to either upgrade or get an anamorphic lens but don't want to spend a fortune!
    If I sell the TRV-900e what could I expect to get for it?

Mark.

8. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sold my trv900 on ebay earlier this year for £450, it was in first class order though, not boxed but pristine in every other respect, functionally perfect.

I kind of wish I hadn't, but I had just bought the FX1 and needed to clear some space on my rack.

The XM2 is really better in that it has a flourite lens so there is less fringing when you shoot into the light, that siad it wasn't a particular problem on the 900, another benefit is the 20x zoom so you can get in that wee bit closer than on the 900's 12x.

The XM2 is more tactile to use, things like the big barrelled focus ring are more intuitive, the audio level controls are on the exterior of the cam and so can be adjusted on the fly, you also have independant left & right level control.

Pretty much every aspect is the same, they have similar ccd blocks (although the canon supports progressive scan at full frame rate (although it is at a reduced resolution of about 80%, the sony doesn't, its 12.5 fps progressive) and the canon has a certain, different kind of quality to the images, purely a subjective thing wouldn't say the sony was better or worse, but they had very different feels to the footage, the Canon seemed to handle greens better.

There are a host of manual controls on the XM like sharpness shift, colour shift, saturation shift and a really useful thing called clear scan (which I miss on the FX1) which lets you synch the refresh rate of the ccd with that of a television or monitor.

I bought the anamorphic lens to give my XM an extended lease of life, and as long as you stay off the zoom throughs it works well (it can't zoom and hold focus accross the zoom range, if you go beyond 10x then you need to start really stopping the lens down to maintain sharpness), the unit I've got is made my optex and has a 52mm native thread with a 58mm stepping collar supplied, it worked happily on the TRV900 as well.

I love my Xm and it's been a great camera for me, I've used it along side DVCPRO's and DSR570's and the footage intercuts without any problem.

I've your TRV900 is plodding along (and no reason why it shouldn't, solid wee cams) then the ananmorphic lens might get you an extra couple of years out of it.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    So how much for just the lens then? :D

Mark.

10. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £280. If you're serious I'll put in ebay with £280 as the buy it now price.
    I'll forward you a review of it first so you're sure you're buying the right thing, whats your email?.

11. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Thanks Roy, I've been looking at them on the internet for a while now and was just getting to the point of biting the bullet and paying for one. I then got outbid on one on eBay this weekend that went for about £153 :rolleyes:

I am serious about buying, so why put it on eBay and end up paying their fees? Can't we sort it out on here? I'll PM you my e-mail address now.

Thanks,
    Mark.

13. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ebaying it makes sure that there is some protection if things go awry, i prefer to use paypal too, nowt personal

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    No problem then, just let me know when it is up and I'll grab it!

Mark.

15. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's up now mark, link in your pm box, cheers

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: