1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XLS200 with Yam DSP-A5

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by PJTX100, Jan 12, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Told you I'd be asking questions, and it's not due to arrive 'til tomorrow!!

Just dug out my amp booklet.

Firstly, looks like the single phono sub out socket is cutoff at 90Hz, no adjustment (other than being able to turn off / on). I'll try this of course and I'm sure it will be OK.

There may be other options though?

The amp has 3 sets of stereo phono pre-amp outs for main, centre and rear. Would it be an idea to try the XLS200 from the main outs?

Also, what's this Hi / Low dual capability of the XLS200? The high input looks like speaker input to me, which I don't really understand because wouldn't this bypass the XLS200 amp?

Advice appreciated thanks...PJ :thumbsup:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd use the sub output on the back of your amp. A 90Hz crossover will be perfectly fine although if it doesn't work quite right you can always adjust the crossover on the BK, with my old Denon receiver the crossover was fixed at 80Hz but I had good results with the BK crossed over at ~55Hz.

If you don't understand the dual hi/low input capability you undoubtedly won't have a use for it so don't worry about it. Most people just need the low level input and you're no exception I'm afraid :D

If I were you, I'd plug it in with the low level connection then use the amps test tones to calibrate it's volume to the same level as the rest of your speakers. I would then play some music I know well and fiddle with the subs crossover frequency, it could work best anywhere between about 45Hz up to it being bypassed completely. No need to worry about the phase control, just set it to zero (you can try adjusting it but you'll only realise how little difference it makes unless you're getting really anal about your frequency response curve).

Let us know how you get on with it though. :)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks eviljohn2.

Sounds like good advice.

Will keep you posted on how I'm getting on. I'm coming from a situation of never having owned a sub so it may be an interesting journey! ;)
    ...PJ

PS looks like setting all speakers to small is the thing to do?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Setting all speakers to small is a good place to start for setting it all up to start with. Once that's done you can play with the amps settings, it really depends how your amp performs its bass management. Denon's for example need all speakers set to small to get any sub output during Pro Logic. With my Marantz I can have the fronts set to large but need the bass set to "mix" (ie. sent to sub and front speakers) to get any sub output in DPL.

There's no definitive right answer, but setting them to small works well with most systems. :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Looks like the Yam is the same as the Marantz - Bass Out set to "Both" looks good. The Main speakers are big so I'll probably end up using them on Large.

As you say, try it and see!

Cheers...PJ

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The XLS200 duly arrived today.

Very well packaged. Pleased with the decision to go for the cherry, which matches the Dittons better then I anticipated, and the forward facing version looks cool! Didn't use the supplied spikes, used a far more "pointier" pair I had knocking about which puncture the carpet far easier, into a concrete floor so rock solid.

Anyway, not had much chance to try it yet, hooked it up to the sub out (free phono lead is nice, two single phono's would have been better though - bit messy having one dangling in mid air). Quick listen to a CD or two, yes it sounds very good. It was a quick go on watching the opening to LOTR pt 1 when it really started to rock though. Had to turn the low level gain down a bit 'cause it was overpowering! Good stuff ! :thumbsup:

Will be able to try it out properly this weekend when the wife & kids are out!

Question. I'm not clear on the statement in the booklet "Please note that high ang low level connections can be used at the same time if required. This has the advantage of being able to connect up a Hi-Fi and AV system simultaneously".

What is this saying?

Bit intrigued as to what this simultaneous hi/lo is supposed to do, I've a spare set of speaker outs begging on the DSP-A5. Do other people use both?

Cheers...PJ

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you had a seperate stereo system in the same room you could connect the speaker outputs from your stereo amp to the high-level inputs on the sub. This is as well as using the standard low-level signal from the AV amp.

Using both from your Yamaha will only make things more complicated than they need to be for absolutely no benefit, but you can try if you like!

Glad you're pleased otherwise. :)

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hey ej2, are you a mind reader? :)

I was just thinking "I wonder if I can connect the separate stereo system in my room to the XLS200 at the same time?" It's another Yammy amp, purely stereo, with a spare pair of speaker outs. And the lead is just long enough to reach the sub. Small JPW bookshelf speakers, the XLS200 should help them a bit. 2 subs for the price of one really!

Suppose the main thing to avoid is having them both on at the same time! :suicide:

Cheers...PJ

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not quite, but the same questions come up a lot and I do try to give thorough answers. ;)

There's actually no reason why you couldn't have them both on (apart from it sounding a bit odd in the same room) as that's exactly what your quote from the manual means.

I'd be inclined to setup the AV how you like it first but then you can plug in stereo when you're happy and play with the high level input. One at a time is usually the best attitude to dealing with subs :)

10. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    As per title, sorry to hjiack the thread, but since you have a BK XLS200 could you confirm the size of it for me: need width and depth measurements so that I can finish making my 'plinth' before mine arrives next week.
    Sorry and thanks in advance.

:offtopic:

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    ...as with many other things in life. :)

Cheers... I'm off the "feel the force" (but on a relatively low volume ;) ...PJ

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    measurements in mm:

forward: 390D x 295H x 295W
    downward: 345D x 355H x 295W

13. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Thanks for the info, just realised I should have looked at the BK website: I'll have to give myself a :rtfm:
    Hope the XLS200 is as good as everyone says.

14. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    To the guys whose XLs200s have just arrived or are arriving soon - when did you order yours?

I ordered mine middle of last week and they were hoping to ship today, to deliver Friday but I've not had a shipping confirmation yet so it looks like I'm in for another long weekend of waiting :thumbsdow

Sure it'll get here when it's ready, but I've been ready all week!

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Strange. Perhaps you ordered one of the most popular ones (eg DF in Light Oak?) and perhaps they had to make a few.

The courier rate they charge is not next day rates - mine took 2 days from ordering but it can be up to 3 according to the courier I spoke with...PJ

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I didn't get a shipping confirmation when mine was sent around this time last year.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    They did send me an email with a tracking ref. Not that it was much use, I was about to go out and checked the web site where it said the item was awaiting dispatch from the depot... 2 mins later as I was locking up it arrived... very lucky!...PJ

18. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give BK a call. That's what I did when mine was taking its time. They checked the courier's tracking webpage, and found that it had been misdirected! :eek:
    After getting it back on track, they gave me the tracking ref number, and website location, and I was able to track it myself from then on.

19. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The lovely lady at BK called me at about 5.15 this evening to let me know that it was now in the hands of the couriers and should be with me monday/tuesday. Wish I could make sense of the courier's website to track it...

Time to go through the CD and DVD collection this weekend and identify some test material, methinks!

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Nice one! Which one did you order?
    The first CD I tried was Goldfrapp's Black Cherry - wonderful!
    ...PJ

21. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    PJ

Went for the XLS200 downward firing in black, to match all the other speakers and separates. Seemed daft not to, given the prices. I have some Mark Grant cable (low and high level) sitting waiting for it to arrive.

Off the top of my head, I think Heavy Rhyme Experience by Brand New Heavies may be first on the CD player. A few scenes from Master and Commander and Star Wars II before finally sitting down to watch the box set of Star Wars IV-VI which I bought last year. It seems a good way to christen the system...

Wait until the family are out and give it some space to breathe - hope the foundations can cope (damned jerry built modern houses!)

Been testing out my new 5.0 surround system today with Van Helsing and I, Robot. Not got my rear speakers set-up perfectly (long thin room and they are midway along the side walls, facing inwards and not opposite each other) but it still feels good! Keep getting surprised by how little comes out of the front l/r speakers in normal viewing - ie how much the centre speaker handles unless there's a lot of movement.

I hope adding the 0.1 at the end will take things even further.