Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

XLS200 vs Stampede vs Q150 ...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Horrabin, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to update my subwoofer to something that not just go "wooooooo" in the lower regions, but actually has some punch to it. I'm mainly looking for a sub for movies, but since I listen quite a bit to music as well, it'd be good if it could perform really well in this area as well. I live in an apartment and my living room is 13.8"x13.8"x8.8" (hopefully I got those measurements correct - I'm from Sweden and more used to metric values ;)). One issue that concerns me is the size of the sub. I would rather have a small box giving great sound than a big box giving superb sound.

Anyways, I've been looking at some of REL's offerings, namely the Stampede and the Q150E, but since I started reading suggestions on this forum, the BK XLS200 has emerged as a possible winner. Problem is (of course) that I can't test listen this one, so I will have to go on what I read on forums such as this. Therefore I'm looking for as much information and suggestions as possible on which way to go. So if anyone would like to give me some pointers on which sub to invest in, I'd appreciate it a lot.

The subs that I'm mainly interested in are:
    BK XLS 200 - small, good with music, but maybe not so much power with movies?
    Q150E - small, good with music, also good with movies?
    Stampede - bigger but still not too big, great with music and pretty good with movies?

Is this a reasonable summation?

I've also looked at slightly larger subs and there I have two contenders:
    SVS PB10-IBS - almost worshiped by buyers on forums, but is the power of this sub to much for my apartment? Would I really be able to use the depths from this without being evicted? :)
    BK Monolith - better than PB10? Too powerful for my apartment?

I know that the prices on all of these are quite different, but since I'm willing to spend up to about £630, I'm looking into all possibilities (as long as the box isn't too big - which it almost is with the PB10 and Monolith).

Any comments/suggestions will be read and considered carefully. :)

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If your budget is actually £630 - then that's about the price of a B&W ASW675 ! I would be hard pressed not to buy this sub if that where my budget & I was looking for something great which is not too visually intrusive.

Please feel free to differ!

3. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately the B&W ASW675 cost 9998 SEK (Swedish kronor) here in Sweden, which would translate into about £745, meaning that it's too expensive. Even if I was to try and buy it from some other country, with the shipping cost I'm guessing it would amount to approximately the same. The XLS200 and PB10-ISD are within my budget, even when shipping cost, VAT and customs have been included, that's why they are on my list. But thanks for the tip, if I get more money to spend (I might win the lottery or something!), I'll keep it in mind. :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    We tested a PB-10 and XLS200 side by side a few months ago and the differences were so profound that when we finished with the SVS and went to listen to the same pieces again on the BK we thought that we had forgotten to switch it on as the bass had all but disappeared.

The PB-10 will go a lot lower than the BK with a lot less audible distortion but the possible drawbacks for you are that it is much larger and also doesn't have high level connectors (if that is important to you).

Both subs will work well with music and the differences between them will still be apparent at lower volumes. I'm not a fan of the Q150 although I haven't heard it in my own room and I haven't heard the Stampede at all

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I havn't heard the additional models that you describe but towards the start of its life several years ago the XLS200 was likened to the Q200 more than the Q150. I'm sure a detailed search of the forums would bring it up. :)

6. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definetly add the Monolith to that list.

Sent you a PM.

7. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your replies, I'm taking it all in and letting it brew. Hopefully I'll come to some kind of decision soon - right now it's leaning towards one of the bigger subs (PB10 or Monolith), but I'm sure it can change in a day or so. ;)

8. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

I've noticed on the SVS website that they're now starting to use international dealers. Lucky for you, the first of these is in Scandinavia, so I guess the SVS may be even more competative for you.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/buyingsvs_dealers.htm

The only one of the subs mentioned that I have heard is the Stampede. At the demo in question, it sounded dreadful. However, it was badly set up by a person that wasn't happy unless everything vibrated 100% of the time. I am sure it would do rather better in the real world.

Gary