1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XLS200 Vs JBL E250P

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by PandaR1, Apr 5, 2005.

1. PandaR1

PandaR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a HT enthusiast from Italy... I have upgraded my system over time from a small satellites + small sub configuration + base receiver (energy take 5 + jamo e4sub.1 + onkyo sr-500) to the present setup (front canton le-109 towers, center canton le-105, surrounds wharfedales wh-20 dipoles, marantz sr-7300 receiver) and I'm very happy about it... but... the sub is the same small, almost-toy jamo (70 W rms, 8 inch driver, 45 hz minimum frequency, front speakers now go down 31.5 hz band measured !!!)

I have looked at almost all the market offers, I have a limited budget (well, you now, wife, kids... ;) ), let's say in the range 4-500 euros at most...

I have discarded the well regarded velodynes 'cause I don't like foam suspensions (they go to dust...) and paper cones (my house is pretty humid...)

I was looking at something 'definitive' which don't let me with the desire to change it in the next 2 or 3 years at least... so 12 inch driver to have a physical slam for movies (I use the sub only for movies, for music the canton's are deep enough...) and enough power to not distort on the occasional demo for the friends... ;) (But I live in an apartment !)

After long and long search I have found the jbl E250P (12 inch, 250 Wrms from a digital amp, good reviews, seems good to me...), the xls200 (almost same power now with 275 w but smaller driver (better quality driver perhaps?) but from the reviews maybe too polite for movies, better for music ?

I also found a deal on a second hand (but as brand new) klipsch rw12 (12 inch, 385w FTC, 825Wrms, a real beast, at a slight higher price (550 euro)

I assume the rw12 is in another league compared to the other two, but now I 'm a little short on money, so I have to wait, so in your experience for movies how the jbl (bass reflex) compare to the xls (pneumatic suspension) ?

Tnx,
    Fabio

ADDENDUM - Room size is circa 3.5x4.5 meter...

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is about the same size, and my XLS200 is more than enough. I personally think a 12" driver in a room this size may be too much. Also, I have the older 200W version of the xls200 - they 275W should be even more of a beast.

I cant comment on the other subs mentioned, but I know you'll be very happy with the BK with both movies and music.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The BK is a good sub especially with music as it has timing as well as depth but if you want sheer slam you need to look elsewhere.

I disagree that a 12" driver is too big for a room of that size and Jeff even seems to think that one isn't enough as he has a pair of bigguns.

I can't speak for the other subs on the shortlist as they are rarities in the UK

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A 3.5m x 4.5m room (shame you havn't included the height dimension to help) is plenty big enough for a 12" driver. I have 2 10" drivers in my 3 metre cubed room and it could certainly handle more. :)

5. PandaR1

PandaR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy to fix ! :)

Height is 2.90 meters... the room has the entrance to the house, 4 other openings to other rooms, 3 with doors which are usually closed and one without door to the kitchen (3x3.6x2.9 meters), the opening to the kitchen is the size of a regular door...

Tnx to all who are replying, I'm reading all with interest...

Fabio

6. PandaR1

PandaR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE:

I found a used B&W ASW 650 at the same price of a new jbl e250p... I'm very uncertain now... please help !

;)

P.S. the B&W is a little deep (almost 19" ! but anyway I can manage it...)

Fabio