1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xls200 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sonic65, Jan 28, 2005.

1. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reference my previous post on the Yamaha YST-SW1500. Thanks to Pollywoggle for the reply which triggered a further look into subwoofers.
    Tried to contact Yamaha re technical questions but to date have had no reply. So I have thoroughly digested all posts on the XL200 (and others) and have ordered a black DF version mainly because the controls can face forward during setting up and testing, and possibly better dispersion.
    It may help others pondering the purchase of a subwoofer if I mention some of my personal reasons for choosing the XL200.
    (1) I have confidence in BK as I have purchased amplifiers etc. from them before. They are contactable and always helpful with technical queries over the phone.
    (2) The LF response is quoted 17Hz. @ -6dB. which I feel is excellent, also the posted frequency response chart in these forums.
    (3) My home constructed subwoofer uses the 12" Peerless loudspeaker which has a response of 14Hz. @ -3dB. (a bit low for AV particularly some 5.1 soundtracks so I am currently working on a variable sub-sonic filter) In short I rate Peerless highly for build quality and performance. (The speaker in the XL200 should be much the same).
    (4) It is a sealed box critically damped and should have good transient response without the overhang of some ported designs.
    (5) High Wife Acceptance Factor (unlike my Tannoy RSUB 15).
    (6) Good reports in AV Forums from real consumers.
    Finally, I can't wait to get my test equipment on the XL200.
    Hope the above is of interest.

sonic65

31/1/2005 Update on the above:
    Heard nothing from BK since placing my order. Phoned them with the outcome
    that my order could not be decoded, whatever that means. They did apologise for not letting me know. So now I will have to see whether the cash is debited or whatever. Attention is now focussed on the Tannoy RSUB15 which I have managed to get into the TV lounge despite the weight and negative WAF.

sonic65

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Definitely interesting to see your reasons for buying an XLS200, you seem to have more experience in subwoofery than most buyers. You will of course appreciate that the response plots and extension details shown in the forums only give a vague indication of how the sub will perform in your room.

I'm very interested in finding out how it compares to your 12" DIY model. Please let us know how you get on with your test equpment. :)

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    An interesting comment after your dismissal of the PB10-ISD sub's performance. :confused:

Scientists are supposed to be open-minded as well as consistent Old Chap. :p

Nimby ;)

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I didn't dismiss the PB10's performance at all, just made my opinions on the Secrets review known which differed from some other peoples interpretation of the results.

I've made my stance known in that thread and it doesn't seem appropriate to bring it in here. I was merely pointing out that the response plot that I produced for the Sub Test isn't definitive. Perhaps if I'd down an outside ground plane test like Ed Mullen performed there'd be basis for comparison.

5. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks eviljohn for your reply.
    Yes room effects can make the results vary considerably, but comparisons can be useful provided the test parameters remain the same in the given room. I found the way that the xls200 sloped off gradually interesting compared to the others which were falling off rapidly.
    For testing I use a Neutrik calibrated microphone in nearfield and read off the results on an oscilloscope.

sonic65

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't believe nearfield responses mean much in the real world.
    To offer a fair comparison with other readers' response graphs a sub's response should be taken from the listening seat with the sub in its room-optimised position. Which is what really matters (for good or evil). Nobody sits with their ear to the sub when watching films. They are usually too busy watching the screen. Besides, it is often very difficult to decide where to put the microphone with a reflex or downfiring sub. :)

Nimby

7. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nearfield testing is a way of reducing room resonances and other intrusive sounds when measuring speaker output. The microphone output frequency and amplitude can be displayed on the oscilloscope and dips or peaks analysed. I dont think my ears could be that precise in determining the amplitude let alone the actual frequency. Testing four or five subs by ear alone is at the best subjective and subject to many variables. Technical tests can reinforce or negate aural perceptions.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I agree with the last sentence. I'm all for objective testing. I'm also for careful listening position testing with test tones and SPL meters or more refined equipment.
    The ears may be the final arbiter where the equipment fails to tell the whole story. But the room is a vital component in the subwoofer/speaker system and cannot be ignored in the testing of any subwoofer. The room often has a far greater effect on the results than the subwoofer itself.

Nimby