1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XLS200 Rattling - what the hell is wrong?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timmy!!!, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Timmy!!!

Timmy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After about a week of waiting my XLS200 arrived today! Hooray :clap:

I left it on for a few hours to let itself run in etc. I then came back to it, turned up the volume a bit and the bloomin thing is rattling (just like the sub i returned about 2 weeks ago :mad: )

Apart from that it really does sound great.

What the hell should i do? When I press on the heatsink, the rattling stops, so something is definately loose. Shoud I tighten the screws? Will this invalidate my warranty?

I will not open the sub up so please dont ask me too!!

If you want i can upload a small audio clip of the rattling. To me it sounds like the rattle is coming from the bottom right part of the metal plate at the back (i guess where the transformer is).

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Tim.

2. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest thing is to see if any of the screws on the outside are loose. If not, call BK and ask Tom if it is ok to open the amp. panel. There should be no reason why the warranty would go void. I have opened one and when I put the screws back, I screwed the screws 1 screw per side order, and used a electrical unit with a torque limit. That way you don't apply to much power.

3. Timmy!!!

Timmy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well after much frustration and anger, I found I have made a horrible mistake.

I'm afraid im going to have to wear the idiot hat for a long time guys - the rattle was coming from the spikes I screwed in by hand - a spanner soon sorted that out.
    (lol the one bit of assembly that is left for the consumer and I mess it up)
    Thanks for the reply MarekFIN, I did try tightening a couple of screws before i realised my mistake, so i may do like you said and loosen them a bit, then use an electronic screwdriver to stop overtightening.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    When i first set up my second much bigger sub that i bought there was a rattling when ever i used it, the mass bass the more rattle. After a little investigation i found that a large door on a storage unit using little magnets as a shutting mechanism was vibrating, and making the noise. I left the door open slightly and the noise disapeared, I then went on to test with starwars ep 2 begining, THX and a few more bassy sounds. Just to make sure ofcourse ;)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    At the moment there's a cabinet full of glass in my equipment room so as soon as I turn the volume up a little bit they all start rattling. :(

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    my bed has those sliding doors on it for storage underneath, rattles when anything explodes, and the plaster has started falling off the ceiling where i filled it while redocorating. expensive business!

7. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    timmy i have just ordered an xls 200 and had exactly the same problem. the rattling desisted if i leant on top of the sub, so i thought i'd tighten the spikes a little. I was cautious of not overtightening them, but on turning them about 1/8 turn beyond finger-tight, the spike mount came loose from the cabinet! I was disappointed and shocked when this happened because of BK's good reputaion for build quality. Anyway, BK were good about it and are sorting it out for me.
    The holes for the spikes go right through to the inside of the cabinet, so i think this makes them more prone to rattling if the spikes aren't tightened because of air chuffing out of the holes when the sub's working.

8. Timmy!!!

Timmy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unlucky mate! I'm glad BK are sorting it out for you! Let us know how they handle your problem. I tightened the spikes on my xls200 loads as I have no intention of taking them off - I just hope if I do ever take them off the spike mount doesn't come off like yours! I also noticed the spike mounts go right through the wood and I was very surprised with this! The pressure inside the sub at high volumes must be immense, making it easy for the spikes to rattle.

I hope BK sort out your problem quickly :thumbsup:

Tim