1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XLS200 owners

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timh, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I am considering the XLS200 subwoofer to compliment my B&W 603 main speakers, I did want to go for the B&W asw675 but find it out of my budget.

What main speakers are you using with the XLS200?
    If you use large mains does the sub compliment them as I find my 603's quite deep anyway, but do very little below 40 HZ.

The frequency response for the XLS200 is 17HZ at -6db, this is the same figure B&W give for the ASW675, so maybe it will go quite deep.
    The graph on the sub test thread looks like the XLS goes down to 25HZ, if this is so it may just be good enough for me.

I don't want to go for this sub and then regret it as it may not add much base to my current setup.
    As from a previous test with a Velodyne CHT10 left me disappointed.

My Lounge is 4 x 5 metres

Please feel free to comment :)

Thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use the XLS200 with my Mission 771e's and it works very well (bear in mind that I helped write the Sub Test thread though ;) )

I havn't heard the ASW675 but the XLS200 is a very capable sub for the price. Considering your speakers, however, you shouldn't be expecting a huge leap in bass performance from a small sub like you're suggesting I'm afraid. As you found with the Velodyne. The BK will go down deeper than 25Hz but doesn't have the capability (ie. small driver and not ported) to start moving huge amounts of air around the room as a larger sub would be able to do.

Personally, I think you'd be disappointed with any sub that had less than a 12" driver and a larger cabinet than either the BK or B&W that you mention can provide. This isn't an insult to the subs but merely that your speakers have an excellent low frequency extension that would only really be complimented by something that could shift air around the room so that you could actually feel explosions or similar in a soundtrack.

Obviously the only sensible way to find the answer is to try them in your own room (or at least hear someone elses) but that's not always possible. I'd suggest you make do with what you have until you have the capability for a larger and more powerful model, otherwise just enjoy what you already have. Maybe the Velodyne DD10 would prove me wrong but that's a significant price jump.

Essentially what I'm saying is that a small sub won't provide a huge improvement over what you already have. I'm sorry I can't recomment the BK to you outright because mine's great. :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Reading your previous quote you said "I did borrow a Velodyne CHT-10 for a day but thought it didn't add anything to movies, but it did make music sound good."

Most people would say that the opposite was true as the CHT-10 should work well with movies but may not have sufficient finesse for music. I am wondering whether you may not have set it up correctly.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for comments John, You have made me think twice about going for a small sub.
    Maybe an SVS ;)

Ian.. When I tested the CHT-10 I had no knowledge of setting up subwoofers but I have since done a fair ammount of reading, and also purchased a sound meter, so I probably didn't have it setup correctly :(

Thanks

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Without having it set up correctly then your Velodyne test probably wasn't fair.

An SVS would probably do what you want although again I'd suggest something with at least a 12" driver. Not that smaller models aren't great as I keep mentioning, I just don't think they'll add enough to make them worthwhile - you'd probably want to upgrade again fairly soon afterwards which is really just throwing money away. You'd do well to get a few demos of different subs within the same range and se e what you think of the difference (B&W would be the obvious choice). :)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree with eviljohn2 as I think that a properly setup BK sub could well be adequate for your needs unless you wish to play your movies at very high sound levels.

If you are looking for reasonable extension to your B&W subs you should get that from the BK. The SVS-PB-10 will provide you with much more extension as well as slam but the trade off is that it is larger

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Fair point Ian, I think the best plan would be to go to a dealer and demo a couple of different B&W subs and see what you think about the differences between them.

The BK would probably be the equal of the ASW675 when it comes to performance as they're very similar designs.

8. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As an owner of a XLS200 and quite significant Tannoy Revolution R3 floorstanders, I am more than happy with it's performance.

I find it very capable in a room 4 x 5 meters with both movies and music.

What I experienced with subs is that the performance is more or less down to the instalation and set-up.

The BK is indeed a small sub, but once set up it sounds far greater than it should do.

If at the end of the day, you want your trousers flapping with bass, then there is no substitute for a large ported driver imho. However for a musically very capable sub the XLS200 leaves me :D

Adam.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I certainly do not want trouser flapping base, I experienced that at the Manchester show a couple of years ago on the Sony demo, I found it really uncomfortable, and it really did make my trousers flap :D

But would the BK do...I guess I will only know if i tried one :confused:

oh dear...theres a SVS Subwoofer 25-31PCi on ebay :eek:

Cheers