1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XLS200 owners, your advice pls

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Nichop, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a smallish room (4m x 3m) and looking for a sub that is both musical and will give me that real feeling in my stomach of the bass (if you know what I mean). Currently I have a Quake and I hear the bass but it doesn't give me that bass feeling. I've listened to a Strata 5 which was great.

My question is to all you owners, does the BK deliver that 'in the stomach bass feeling' or do I need to go for something as big as the Strata (although interestingly it has the same driver size and sort of power as the BK) ?

cheers

Nick

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want the kick in the stomach type of bass I think that you will need to look at something a little more powerful than the XLS200. BK also manufacture the Monolith which is a much larger and more powerful sub and either that or the SVS PB-10 should give you what you are looking for at about £400

3. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply Ian. What I don't understand is how the Strata5 does give you the 'stomach feeling' and yet it, like the BK, has a 10" driver, a 250mm throw and a similar power amp. So, why doesn't the BK deliver the same when it appears to be a similar spec ? Sure its a smaller enclosure which means it is likely to require a more powerful amp (more current delivery) in order to move the driver a given amount, but then it is a more powerful amp than the Strata (275w vs 150w).

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I assume that it has something to do with the size of the enclosure as the SVS PB-10 only has a 10" driver with admittedly a slightly larger amp at 300w but it also has a kick like a mule.

5. BH_

BH_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an XLS200, tested it's freq response and it's goes down a good 25hz with authority, it goes lower but it loses some spl then. If i play my music or movies loud enough it CAN rattle everything in the room. (room is about 4*6 meters). It's the best sub in it's priceclass imo.

6. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not just the enclosure. The Monolith (and PB10) have a reflex port, compared to the XLS200, which is a closed sub. The Monolith can moooove air in a completly different way.

7. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I get plenty of "stomach kicking" with my xls200. I'd say it is comparable to the stadium when set up correctly.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I would have to disagree. Three of us tested a BK XLS200 side by side with the £400 SVS PB-10 a few months ago and I made the following comment "Having switched from the PB-10 to the BK and whacking on the Blue Man Group again at -5 I inititially thought that Kaz hadn't switched the sub on but after my ears had adjusted it was just that it was producing less bass than I was used to. The BK didn't have the outright depth or power of the bigger PB-10 but it's footwork was ninimble and fast indeed which I assume is the result of good design coupled with quality internal components"

The BK XLS is an excellent sub but it wasn't designed to produce reams of "gutwrenching" bass" which is why the manufacturers now sell it's larger brother that is designed for just that. BK are one of the more honest manufacturers in the claims that they make for their subs and I'm sure that even they wouldn't claim that the XLS200 was comparable to a REL Stadium.

9. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well hope I've done the right thing but I've just ordered the XLS200 which should arrive by the end of next week........

I didn't even know it existed before I noticed it in a thread yesterday. No hanging about!

10. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the PB-10 is ported then it will inherently be more efficient. So i'm not surprised that the BK seemed to produce less bass than the PB. However this is a balancing game for me. I'm trying to work out whether it produces enough bass and 'stomach feel' (more than the Quake which produces none) to prevent me having to buy a big box which will be a real pain in my small room, especially if the one spot next to the sofa just doesnt work and it has to come out into the room somewhere. The smaller BK will be more acceptable to the other half elsewhere in the room that a larger Sub. On the otherhand there's no point spending money on a box which simply will not produce what i'm after. I'm looking for more feeling than the Quake whilst accepting it won't be to the same level as a large ported sub like the PB. Am I going to get this with the BK ?

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've used my BK in a room approaching your dimensions and you're not going to get gut-wrenching bass from it in the same vein as the larger models suggested I'm afraid. You'll get the sound out of it but not the same "trouser flapping" feeling that you seem to be after.

It's not sensible to compare specifications purely on driver diameter as I'm certain that a DD10 or similar would be able to provide what you're after.

I don't think there's any doubt that the XLS200 is far superior to the Quake but you may like to look at something like the Velodyne CHT-R10 which should be a decent compromise between the very large and powerful units and some of the smaller ones.

I'd recommend getting a demo of a few different subs in your price bracket to try and get a feel for the differences in design and performance. :)

12. Nichop

Nichop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well having looked again at the Strata 5 its just going to be too big for the room so I will go with the BK and accept that my stomach won't be moved quite as much :) Thanks for all the advice.

13. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Well, my listening wasn't side by side :) to tell the truth. The BK xls200 in my room (suspended laminate floor :mad: ) is comparable to the stadium i heard on a (concrete) floor in sevenoaks, but in hindsight the setups prob weren't similar.
    I don't think Nichop will be dissapointed with the BK, it definitely holds it's own at the price.

PS re:crap floorboards, am tempted to buy an Argos marble chopping board (£9.99 code: 015/0053) and place it under the spikes to 'decouple' it from the laminate - do you think it'll work (to a degree even)?

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Audiophiles have been decoupling speakers and subwoofers from the floor for years using slabs of granite, slate or marble so it should help.

Some people swear by the Auralex Gramma for use on suspended wooden floors and Acousti Pro are selling the "Kill Vibe" isolation pad for subwoofers in the powerbuy forum here which is said to be superior to the Gramma as well as much cheaper.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Or of course you could try the Suyperspikes available from BK here:
    http://www.bkelec.com/Superspikes/index.htm
    be sure to let them know that you've just bought a sub from them. ;)

I certainly don't think you'll find the XLS200 a disappointment in performance terms although it may not quite provide the slam that you're after. The Paradigm PDR10 that I used to own provided far more slam but at a much higher distortion level so it just rumbled and hit you rather than played a tune to you. :)

16. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Ian : I know it works for down firing subs :) (I use it with my av DF sub to great effect - 2inch slab of mdf), just wanted to see if it would be worthwhile with forward firing xls200.

If it is, i'd be more tempted to buy a £3 slab of granite tiling from b&q instead, what would be your order of preference from the following:
    Marble
    Granite
    Slate
    MDF
    ?

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Another less visually appealing alternative is to put the heavy slab on top of the sub.

I'm afraid that I don't know which of your alternatives is preferable but I doubt whether it's MDF as you are looking for something heavy and inert.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If I were trying this I'd buy a small concrete paving slab and spray it matt black...PJ :)

19. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Or get Mum or The Missus to sew you a zipped cushion cover in the required size for your slab? This has the advantage that they are involved in the process of choosing the cushion cover material. Whether they then take the chance to express their outrage by choosing pink chiffon or dayglo orange paisley is up to them. But at least you tried. :)

Nimby

20. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Nimby :D :D :D

Right, I got 5 solid marble 30cmx30cm (1cm thick) slabs from a tile shop for £12.75 (that's £2.55 each --- compared to £9.99 each from Argos :) ).

I'll Place under the speakers and sub & when I get a chance, & report the findings.

Ian: They're very attractive red/white marble, so I wouldn't mind putting one on top of the sub at all

21. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Well, I've got good results.

The bass is much more controlled, with less boom from the underfloor (it seems to have decoupled the sub effectively).
    I was now able to integrate the sub much more effectively and now cannot hear it as a seperate entity (i've reduced the x-over to 56Hz, and un-bunged the Quad rear ports).
    Oh, and a spare slab on top of the sub may or may not add anything, but it sure looks nice :D .

[​IMG]

PS nuetrik speakon thingy.
    If you want a better cable, you can easily make your own (either buy a connector from maplin or disconnect the existing supplied one). The neutrik connector is a simple screw type which can come apart, so that you can insert your own cable and screw in place like a plug):

[​IMG]

I also had some spare banana plugs (minus the outer sheaths) lying around so these are screwed at the amp end of the cable. The cable is 2 lengths of 2.5m chord company carnival. This is a great and relatively cheap cable (£3/m), but is thick enough gauge that it's a tight fit, so taking a bit of time inserting the wire ends into the screw terminals is needed.
    Here is the finished article, just the right length rather than having loops and loops of pre-made wire lying on the floor. :)

[​IMG]