XLR cables - How cheap is too cheap?

dts197

Distinguished Member
Wasn't really sure which section to put this in.

I'm not someone who would spend ridiculous amounts of money of speaker cable, sub cables etc. But how cheap is too cheap? I'll be needing some XLR cables later this year, so want to make a note of some so I know exactly what to buy.

I know a lot buy from Mark Grant, but I didn't really want to spend £250/£300 on the cables I'll need.
I have these in my Amazon list. I'd usually buy black/grey, but thought colour ones would make it easier to quickly identify which channel is which.
Amazon product
The reviews are good, but at less than £3 per cable, maybe that's too cheap? Wondered what people in here think. And if anyone has any reccomendations for some that aren't too much. Thanks.

Conrad

I've used Design-a-cable, Lynx, and VDC trading and haven't had an issue with any of them. There's plenty of decent quality XLR cable (van dam, mogami, belden) but as long as you get something like that with Neutrik connectors you can't go far wrong.

Something like this is fine: Amazon product

dts197

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Can't see any mention of Neutrik on the ones I linked to, so I'll take those off my list.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
+1 that at a short length the plug is of more importance. Cheap Chinese connectors can be problematic due to poor dimensional accuracy. They can drop a leg or just not connect very well. Neutrik or another quality make. Cpc.co.uk do a good range of cables including van damme. The pro-signal is an excellent budget choice and is well made.

dts197

Distinguished Member
+1 that at a short length the plug is of more importance. Cheap Chinese connectors can be problematic due to poor dimensional accuracy. They can drop a leg or just not connect very well. Neutrik or another quality make. Cpc.co.uk do a good range of cables including van damme. The pro-signal is an excellent budget choice and is well made.
I'll see if it's any better on a computer, but that website is a little difficult to navigate. Typing in XLR just brings up sections that can't be clicked. And going through the sections from the menu is a bit of maze.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I'll see if it's any better on a computer, but that website is a little difficult to navigate. Typing in XLR just brings up sections that can't be clicked. And going through the sections from the menu is a bit of maze.
Probably best to do a Google search for cpc xlr cable 1m or whatever you are looking for. It generally works better than the site search!!

dts197

Distinguished Member
Probably best to do a Google search for cpc xlr cable 1m or whatever you are looking for. It generally works better than the site search!!
Just searched for Van Damme and they do decent ones in different colours which will be ideal. And less than 1m lengths to keep the cabling neater.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Wasn't really sure which section to put this in.

I'm not someone who would spend ridiculous amounts of money of speaker cable, sub cables etc. But how cheap is too cheap? I'll be needing some XLR cables later this year, so want to make a note of some so I know exactly what to buy.

I know a lot buy from Mark Grant, but I didn't really want to spend £250/£300 on the cables I'll need.
I have these in my Amazon list. I'd usually buy black/grey, but thought colour ones would make it easier to quickly identify which channel is which.
Amazon product
The reviews are good, but at less than £3 per cable, maybe that's too cheap? Wondered what people in here think. And if anyone has any reccomendations for some that aren't too much. Thanks.
I bought similar no issues at all….

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom