1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xl2

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Roy Mallard, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my hands on a Canon XL2 (a loan from a rep unfortunately).

Have to say, for regular video use on a PAL monitor I wsn't that blown away by the improvements.

However when projected (through a HD NEC LCD) the results were astounding.

I have for sale 1 granny, good condition for year, offers to...

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What improvements were you hoping to see with the standard video?

Did you get to use it much? Got a mini-review you wanna post? I'd be interested in reading one from someone using it "in anger" as opposed to the usual mag reviews.

I wonder how much the XL1's will drop to for clearance *rubs hands together gleefully* I reckon I'll get away with just selling off the wife. Granny's safe for now. ;)

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew that the XL1s was getting near the upper limit of prosumer DV (though the chips were lower res than on my XM2) in terms of resolution, and that the lens quality was well above anything else in the prosumer market (word of advice to folk looking at camcorder specs, resolution, especially stills resoluion isn't the be all and end all, lens quality is significant as well, for example I used to run a sony vx9000 along side a 1st generation xl1, sony had about 25% more pixels but the canon gave a far nicer image) so I didn't expect any great jumps in on-tv quality, the reason I mentioned this was to deter people who are only shooting for TV use from making an expesive and perhaps unneccessary upgrade (as you say the XL1s should drop in price making it a bargain).

The biggest difference on the XL2 was the extra resolution apparant in the frame record mode, both the XM2 and the XL1/s used pixel shift to create the frame record function, so the maximum resolution used at any time was about 75% of the image area pixels accross the CCD (this was preferable to sonys full res but slowed frame rate method).

The XL2 uses all of the image area pixels in frame mode so the resolution (on a panscan tv or in my case projector) was significantly visably higher than on the XL1 or XM2. Combined with no resolution loss in 16:9 mode compared to the XL1s (I have an optex on my XM2, so full res 16:9) and the pan scan high res projection from the XL2 is way above the XL1, and anything else at this point in the market.

I would say it almost reaches the quality of the DSR570, but the lens on the 570 is a rung above that on the canon.

Other than that it looks feels and handles like an XL1. I wanted more time to see how things like the knee circuits compared with that of the 570 (though in truth with Zebra and the peaking luma reduction in FCP I never bother using the knee circuit on the 570) and particularly how the camera handles out of focus specular highlights (circular iris!!) but never had the chance.

My quick review would be a nice cam for somebody taking a step up to a prosumer camera, but I wouldn't flog your vx2k's or XL1s just yet.

If the ulimate aim was projection then it would be worth the extra, although Sony have mooted an HD cam at this level so I'd wait and see what salvos they fire off.

DV still has along way to go in terms of matching things like the contrast latitude of 16mm, but otherwise this kind of camera offers a viable alternative.

4. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Roy. The first things which I noticed were the 20x zoom, it using the same lens attachment as the XL1s (so lots of lenses already available for it), and xlr inputs added. I heard somewhere that you can exchange settings with other XL2's, which is a nice feature.

However, at the end of the day it's still a 1/3" standard definition camcorder and you have think of that when forking out the squillions it will cost.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the XL2 uses the XL mount there are only a couple of lenses made inthis specific mount, canon amke a great deal about the compatibility with their eos lenses, 2 problems, the adapter costs £300 and there is a conversion factor of 7x effective 35mm focal length (so that a 100mm EOS lens becomes a 700mm XL lens), the IS system (on the minority of EOS lenses) cannot work within this parameter and so a tripods is essential.

The feature exchange system would be useful for people running a pool of XL2s or using them in a studio system, minority of users.

6. Molgroover

Molgroover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading up on the XL1S and XL2. I'm hoping the XL1s drops in price as I'd like to get it. I think the only thing that stands out immediatly with the XL2 is its true 16x9 mode. Did you test this out? It is far too expensive for me to even consider. The canon guy I spoke to over the phone estimated a £4,500 price range :thumbsdow