XL1 and Canon miniDV tapes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by canada john, Jan 10, 2008.

1. canada john

canada john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've always used Canon miniDV tapes with my XL1. Seems now that you can't get them anymore (at least in Canada). I know I can't use Sony. Tried it once with disasterous results. Apparently their tapes are of a different thickness. I've also been told that the Canon tapes were actually made by Panasonic. If so is that the tape I should begin to use now that I can't get the Canon brand?

Thanks,

Canada John

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I believe you are correct that Panasonic makes Canon brand tapes. This site
    http://www.tapestockonline.com/minidvtapefaqs.html
    and others claim this.
    Panasonic tapes have a good reputation (as does Sony). If you've had problems in the past with Sony then Panasonic is a good choice.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I think that the thickness and case dimensions of all MiniDV tapes are manufactured to very narrow tolerances.The magnetic formulations are of course Brand specific within a reference range
    What was different with Sony tapes was that they were said to use a different lubricant which, it seemed formed a residue when no Sony tapes were used. Even Sony discourages the interchangable use of Normal Premium and its costlier HDV tapes together.
    Moral: If youve not had a good time with them as many of us do, Stick to Panasonic as advised above