XL1 and Canon miniDV tapes

C

canada john

Hello,

I've always used Canon miniDV tapes with my XL1. Seems now that you can't get them anymore (at least in Canada). I know I can't use Sony. Tried it once with disasterous results. Apparently their tapes are of a different thickness. I've also been told that the Canon tapes were actually made by Panasonic. If so is that the tape I should begin to use now that I can't get the Canon brand?

Thanks,

Canada John

senu

Distinguished Member
I think that the thickness and case dimensions of all MiniDV tapes are manufactured to very narrow tolerances.The magnetic formulations are of course Brand specific within a reference range
What was different with Sony tapes was that they were said to use a different lubricant which, it seemed formed a residue when no Sony tapes were used. Even Sony discourages the interchangable use of Normal Premium and its costlier HDV tapes together.
Moral: If youve not had a good time with them as many of us do, Stick to Panasonic as advised above

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom