Xim Apex, get good or give up?

dms

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm an old git who has played FPS .... well since they started making FPS! Obviously I've always played them on PC and with keyboard and then keyboard and mouse.

I wanted to buy Doom Eternal on the Xbox Series X to play on the PJ with surround sound but the Mrs insisted I try it on the £1/3month game pass first. Sensible.... the game looks and sound fabulous in the lounge.

And what a surprise, I find it nigh on impossible to have a satisfying game with the controller. I think it took something like 1.5hrs to do the first level on easiest difficulty and with multiple deaths.

In the past I've only tried a Borderlands 3 on the console for any length of time (co-op split screen, Mrs hated the controller and gave up ;-(. I've played various third person games and found the controls very clunky. I can't claim I've put the hours in.... but to be honest it's so frustrating being rubbish and dying on easy mode on Doom Eternal when I know I could plough through it on the PC!

So does anyone have tips how to relearn how to use these rotten dual stick controllers or would you recommend I just get an Xim Apex? It's of course really annoying that games with support kb/mouse on PC don't on the console when the console officially supports these inputs!

I've pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 so I've got about a week to stop sucking ;-)

Last option is I just give up, wait till next year when I can get a 3080 or 30xxTi at a fair price and go back to being a PC gamer for anything other than games meant to be played on twin sticks (Diablo and all it's clones, Ori etc)

I'm an old git who has played FPS .... well since they started making FPS! Obviously I've always played them on PC and with keyboard and then keyboard and mouse.

I wanted to buy Doom Eternal on the Xbox Series X to play on the PJ with surround sound but the Mrs insisted I try it on the £1/3month game pass first. Sensible.... the game looks and sound fabulous in the lounge.

And what a surprise, I find it nigh on impossible to have a satisfying game with the controller. I think it took something like 1.5hrs to do the first level on easiest difficulty and with multiple deaths.

In the past I've only tried a Borderlands 3 on the console for any length of time (co-op split screen, Mrs hated the controller and gave up ;-(. I've played various third person games and found the controls very clunky. I can't claim I've put the hours in.... but to be honest it's so frustrating being rubbish and dying on easy mode on Doom Eternal when I know I could plough through it on the PC!

So does anyone have tips how to relearn how to use these rotten dual stick controllers or would you recommend I just get an Xim Apex? It's of course really annoying that games with support kb/mouse on PC don't on the console when the console officially supports these inputs!

I've pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 so I've got about a week to stop sucking ;-)

Last option is I just give up, wait till next year when I can get a 3080 or 30xxTi at a fair price and go back to being a PC gamer for anything other than games meant to be played on twin sticks (Diablo and all it's clones, Ori etc)

I feel your pain. Back in mid 2000's I converted from PC to console gaming. And let me tell anyone who does that it isn't easy. At all.

If I were you I'd persevere - just keep using the controller - don't go back to mouse. You'll get there.

I'd probably pick something easier than Doom Eternal though as its a hard game at the best of times.

Do you invert your Y axis on controller? I came from mouse and absolutely did that and still do and it helps me no end. I can't play without Y axis inverted and that is definitely a legacy from using a mouse.

I think within a few weeks of playing you'll feel much, much better.

I feel your pain. Back in mid 2000's I converted from PC to console gaming. And let me tell anyone who does that it isn't easy. At all.

If I were you I'd persevere - just keep using the controller - don't go back to mouse. You'll get there.

I'd probably pick something easier than Doom Eternal though as its a hard game at the best of times.

Do you invert your Y axis on controller? I came from mouse and absolutely did that and still do and it helps me no end. I can't play without Y axis inverted and that is definitely a legacy from using a mouse.

I think within a few weeks of playing you'll feel much, much better.

Cheers, I'll try inverting the Y-axis. I do invert my mouse which is a hang up from playing Flight Sim (on a keyboard!)

If the Mrs refuses to play Borderlands 3 I may go back to that and try it alone as I seem to remember it was pretty easy.

It's just so frustrating that "sniping" or up close the movement I get on the controller are just far too sudden and "jerky". I tried changing sensitivity on borderlands 3 but then it just took too long to aim!

Cheers, I'll try inverting the Y-axis. I do invert my mouse which is a hang up from playing Flight Sim (on a keyboard!)

If the Mrs refuses to play Borderlands 3 I may go back to that and try it alone as I seem to remember it was pretty easy.

It's just so frustrating that "sniping" or up close the movement I get on the controller are just far too sudden and "jerky". I tried changing sensitivity on borderlands 3 but then it just took too long to aim!

Another tip - use default sensitivities. Don't mess with them either on the console settings - or in games. That way you'll get used to defaults which whilst not the same game by game are generally equivalent. If you keep messing up the sensitivity you'll take longer to adjust.

The thing to remember is that your controller sensitivity is a curve so as you make smaller movements you are in effect fine graining the accuracy - whereas fast larger movements will do that. It takes a while. Try to find a game you find easy. A good game to learn is Call of Duty because I'd say the fast paced style of its campaign and aiming model will probably be the best controller FPS grounding you'll get. Borderlands etc has slightly funky aiming compared to other games.

yep, as an old doom and quake pc player i know what your saying......but just keep playing, it will suddenly just click and playing will be easier....then you can be a console peasant and a master race member...lol.

yep, as an old doom and quake pc player i know what your saying......but just keep playing, it will suddenly just click and playing will be easier....then you can be a console peasant and a master race member...lol.

Lol. I haven't been disowned by any friends yet... but there's a been a lot of friendly banter ;-)

The thing to remember is that your controller sensitivity is a curve so as you make smaller movements you are in effect fine graining the accuracy - whereas fast larger movements will do that. It takes a while. Try to find a game you find easy. A good game to learn is Call of Duty because I'd say the fast paced style of its campaign and aiming model will probably be the best controller FPS grounding you'll get. Borderlands etc has slightly funky aiming compared to other games.

I don't think I've gotten to grips with that yet and it might be the problem that my movements are always aggerated and swing widely... yes my aiming in Doom Eternal is basically like a pendulum atm ;-)

Me too was pc player for ages wanted to play on console and it was difficult using controller but now I’m used to it I wouldn’t go back to keyboard and mouse.
My tip would be to knock your sensitivities to low for the horizontal and vertical axis in the games controller settings. That means when you move your not suddenly making big jerking movements but slower ones you can control.
Not sure about inverting the axis it might confuse things.
Also make sure auto aim is on.
Forget about people who say increase the sensitivities to be better at the game, I’ve used low all my gaming time and do well.
Then just practise, apex legends has a firing range where you can practise moving and firing so start there.
You’ll get there and won’t be able to go back to mouse and keyboard soon

Just to rub salt in the wounds Doom Eternal is on the pass on PC today. Tried the first level with kb/m and of course breezed through it in no time without beaking a sweat. My old pc still managed 120fps much of the time but 1440p didn't look anything like 120" 4k on the xbox.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom