Question Xiaomi - UK retailers?

happychappy69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As above, I'm looking to try an Xiaomi phone, MI A1 or redmi 5 plus, but would rather buy my first one from a uk stocks (for warranty reasons), can anybody recommend one

Thanks to you all

Many thanks for your help, I decided to be brave and try the Chinese route

Wish me luck

Many thanks for your help, I decided to be brave and try the Chinese route

Wish me luck
I've bought Xiaomi phones from ebay sellers with uk stock, with no problems, if you do get it from china the best way might be the official xiaomi store on aliexpress

Make sure you buy a Global Edition retail boxed handset if available rather than a handset advertised as "Official Global Firmware" as if it's flashed Netflix will be missing when you look on Playstore ect

Our house is all Xiaomi phones, Mrs has the Redmi 4X Global, she had its predecessor, I have the Redmi Note 4X and for work the Redmi Note 5A "Extended Edition".

As far as I'm aware, Xiaomi don't officially sell any phones in the UK so it's not possible to buy one with warranty here as they're all grey imports.
So the Mi A1 global model that amazon UK sells wouldn't be covered by UK warranty in case of problems outside the 30 day amazon return window? What about the Mi A1 sold by a marketplace seller on amazon uk site as EU model?

So the Mi A1 global model that amazon UK sells wouldn't be covered by UK warranty in case of problems outside the 30 day amazon return window? What about the Mi A1 sold by a marketplace seller on amazon uk site as EU model?

The gold Mi A1 sold direct from amazon i would have thought they have to give a warranty, it's a great way to buy a xiaomi phone. There were no xiaomi phones on amazon when i bought mine.

I've bought from The Solution Shop before and had a great experience, they always responded to questions etc quickly and walked me through installing a Xiaomi.eu ROM for the first time.
They include warranties and have a repair center in the UK although I've never had to use it.

Clove used to sell them:

Clove Technology - shipping smartphones, tablets & accessories worldwide from the UK

Contact them and ask them if they still do and if not why not ?

Uk resellers are very thin on the ground.

Otherwise:

Original Xiaomi Smartphones, Tablets, Accessories | iBuygou

Hong Kong Goldway - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com

You maybe able to buy from Xiaomi Spain also:

Mi Fan Festival 2018

Just out of passing interest......
I see some are listed as EU versions
Is that what we'd need to look out for, for the UK ?

Global Version.

Is that pretty much the golden rule for any far eastern phone from a far eastern type website?
Always get the global version?

And please forgive my ignorance, is that due to the carrier/frequency/signal?
Does a Global version work on all the main UK Carriers? Or is there something else you need to check up on? In my case, it would be than it worked on the "3" Network.

I will admit, the cynic in me thinks that these will be sold at UK prices, and not mail order from china type prices.
There are instances where goods are more expensive in the UK because of the value of GBP and taxes being higher than other territories but that's not what this post really means is it.

The "order from China type prices" are only possible because they exclude import duty and VAT and requires both seller and buyer to complicity under declare the item value to the UK government . I don't really follow how this becomes a criticism of Three

Because generally a product you wish to sell to the public, and it's cost to make, or perhaps buy from the maker has very little connection.

Your aim as a seller is to maximise profits.
You wish to sell an item right on the sweet spot of what the public are prepared to pay for it.

You price it too low, you sell a lot, but people would have paid more, so you lose potential profit.
You price it too high, you don't sell as many as people are put off, so you lose potential profit.
You price it just on the cusp, which is what you want to do, and you get the perfect balance of profits per item and number sold.

Hard to get exactly right, but it's what to aim for.

If I can source a phone from china, and it costs me, £100, I slap on Import Tax/Shipping, VAT and let's say it's £150, I slap on some clear profit for me of £50 per item, and let's say I can then try for a £199 tempting price.

But hang on. I look around the UK Phone marketplace and see the typical price for anything like this, and what the UK public are happily paying is nearer the £299 - £349 range.

So, my item is under-priced for the UK Consumer/Market, I'm missing out on profit, so I can slap on another £100 and get to the price I see is selling well for the specs of this level of product.

Lot's of made up numbers here :)

Perhaps 3 don't do that, and they will take the factory price they can buy them for in bulk, add on shipping and tax's, plus just a few % profit, and sell the phone at an amazing UK price to us over here.

I'd love it. And shake up the competition :)

Even your made up numbers fail to reflect of the £50 that is deemed 'reasonable profit' per unit, that is only a gross profit. A certain amount of tax, marketing, staff wages, high street rent and maintenance costs come out of that. Not to mention offering the handset alone means no network loyalty. Three are more likely to steer would be buyers to 12 / 24 month contracts, that is how networks in the UK make money and would align with the "Three exclusive" label

I bought my Redmi 5+ directly off Xiaomi amazon shop. Shipped from Spain, as they now have warehouses in Spain and Germany (also Hong Kong).

Decent phone for the price. Though my finger print thingy doesn't work.

Is that pretty much the golden rule for any far eastern phone from a far eastern type website?
Always get the global version?

And please forgive my ignorance, is that due to the carrier/frequency/signal?
Does a Global version work on all the main UK Carriers? Or is there something else you need to check up on? In my case, it would be than it worked on the "3" Network.

If there is a Global Version, then yes thats the one to go for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom