Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector

Hi guys,
i'm trying to calibrate the new Xiaomi 4k model.
Is there someone here that already calibrated the previous model with HCFR and X-rite i1 display pro probe?
Because this projector doesn't have too much settings to modify.

Thank you very much

Hi again,

I was wondering can someone help me. I just went to let my dogs out. I thought let's just see it turns on this time. To my surprise the projector turned on. What I did notice though is that it turned itself off? I left it for a few minutes and turned it on again. This time it stayed on and was working fine. I watched tv for about 20 minutes. Then I turned it off and waited 5 or so minutes to try turn it back on. You could hear the audio from the tv but no image being displayed? Don't see the loading screen or anything.

I am lost as to what it could be? Any ideas? I have contacted the seller where we got the projector from. We have not even had it 2 months. It's so annoying as have no idea what's wrong with it. I was surprised to see the image turn on just now. As I say though the projector turned itself off and also done what it was doing before. Playing audio but displaying no image.

I am so fustrated with it. Can't work out the cause or what to do for a fix. Literally less than two months. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Err , maybe clean the sensors near the Laser beam and give it another try.If it does fire up ,try turning those sensors off, if they are not already.....maybe it's not the problem, but it's worth a try.

I'm struggling with getting ARC to work on this PJ, I tested my amp on my LG TV and arc works perfectly fine ,but with the same cable connected to output 3 I get nothing .

I turned on CEC controls on all input 3 , and updated the sound output setting in the PJ to arc , is there anything else ?

Extra info if I had raw data output I have no sound with pcm I only have 2.0 output to the amp and it's very low volume output from the amp compared to when it was connected to the LG TV.

Playback source Chromecast ultra

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi again,

I was wondering can someone help me. I just went to let my dogs out. I thought let's just see it turns on this time. To my surprise the projector turned on. What I did notice though is that it turned itself off? I left it for a few minutes and turned it on again. This time it stayed on and was working fine. I watched tv for about 20 minutes. Then I turned it off and waited 5 or so minutes to try turn it back on. You could hear the audio from the tv but no image being displayed? Don't see the loading screen or anything.

I am lost as to what it could be? Any ideas? I have contacted the seller where we got the projector from. We have not even had it 2 months. It's so annoying as have no idea what's wrong with it. I was surprised to see the image turn on just now. As I say though the projector turned itself off and also done what it was doing before. Playing audio but displaying no image.

I am so fustrated with it. Can't work out the cause or what to do for a fix. Literally less than two months. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like it's a temperature sensor issue. Most electronics usually turn off or refuse to turn on like that when the temperatures are very high. This could be as simple as improving air circulation around the PJ by moving stuff away from the heat vents or could be a more serious issue of fans/sensors not working correctly.

I'm struggling with getting ARC to work on this PJ, I tested my amp on my LG TV and arc works perfectly fine ,but with the same cable connected to output 3 I get nothing .

I turned on CEC controls on all input 3 , and updated the sound output setting in the PJ to arc , is there anything else ?

Extra info if I had raw data output I have no sound with pcm I only have 2.0 output to the amp and it's very low volume output from the amp compared to when it was connected to the LG TV.

Playback source Chromecast ultra

Thanks in advance

I have the global version and I have trouble with ARC as well. I have it set to raw data and dolby effects off and my receiver shows any dolby content properly but any DTS is converted to stereo. I suspect it doesn't send true raw data cause the dolby streams are loud in volume (as they should) but DTS sounds muffed. Also there have been no major software updates to this since months which makes me a bit skeptical about Xiaomi working on adding support for things like 3D.

Thanks for the reply , I'm going to try a hdmi splitter and see if that works for me , I don't want to have to change the amp just for this.

Hey all,

I just purchased the Mi projector from Walmart. It's great, running native android TV out of the box. I have a question for anybody else with this version. I turned on CEC for the inputs. I would like the projector to boot directly to the HDMI input that is turning it on instead of booting the android TV. Has anybody found a way to do this with the Walmart version of the projector.

Thanks!

Dear Friends I have been using the Mi Laser Projector V1 since last 7-8 months and very happy with the performance and since last couple of hours I am facing an issue.When I switch on the projector the power light switches on then blinks few times and then switches off automatically and nothing happens.The laser light is not even getting powered on.Did anybody face a similar issue and if so how did you solve it ?

What could be the issue here ?
Dear Friends any idea ?

If there is one thing I wish they would update is the projector's refresh rate. I think it doesn't hsve auto refresh rate so there are very obvious motion issues visible

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys. Still having the same issue. Sometimes it turns on no problem. Other times it turns on and you get audio but no sign of any image. I have e-mailed the shop where I purchased the item from on ebay. He has yet to get back to me. It was less than two months old when started these issues.

On some of the points mentioned, the sensors will certainly be clean. Being so new I have kept it clean and dont allow dust to build up or anything. Far as temperature being an issue. I thought it would display a warning about that? When I do get it on I can sit and watch it for a few hours and have no issues.

I am going to do a factory reset next just to see if that does anything. Didn't want to do it and lose the installed English language. Have since learned I could do the factory reset but keep the installed language. I doubt it will do anything but got to be worth a shot. I think I will be covered for it anyway because of the fact it has started having these issues when so brand new. Really is frustrating not being able to just watch it when I want.

Please use the classifieds. Folks have been scammed on this forum by people claiming to have items for sale, which they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use the classifieds. Folks have been scammed on this forum by people claiming to have items for sale, which they don't.

ok, thanks for the tips mate. Just trying to get a used one since I'd rather wait for the 4k version as brand new pj.

Hi, I want to Share a trick for watching 3D with this projector, after hours trying to find the best settings I figured it out;
This is for Xiaomi Laser UST 2017 version, paired with Dune Pro HD 4K, but it works with Shield and some other Blu-ray players too.
1-Activate maxium quality settings, Hrzs, 3d, etc in Dune settings, Option play file with; Internal Player, and activate; convert SDR to HDR, it makes 3D with HDR, much better
2-Activate HDMI 2.0 in Xiaomi
3-Xiaomi; enter picture settings, aspect ratio select "Expand" (the last one)
4-Xiaomi; Enter in picture settings and go to "Monitor" mode
5-Xiaomi; Enter in 3d Frame Packing
5-Play the 3D Blu-Ray iso from Dune, or Original Disc, with full Menu mode, (not Lite mode, You'll need a beta upadte; Miscellaneous/update Dune)
7-Xiaomi; The picture will be blurry and dull, press Xiaomi home button and after one or two seconds press the HDMI source of the Dune (or whatever) to enter again. Always in Monitor Mode
8-The 3D picture is the best I've seen with this projector, sharp Full HD 3D, real Frame Packing, with HDR, good colours (High light or movie mode in Xiaomi), Zero Stuttering, very very good.
You've to stay in monitor mode, if you change any picture settings you will exit this mode and you'll see the diference.

This trick also works with normal Blu-ray and UHD

Last edited:
For 3D I simply select Full Aspect Ratio, Up/Down 3D pattern, and set backlight from Normal to Movie

Hi Roku2, yes, I was doing something similar, but 3D quality wasn't just perfect, a bit blurry and not very nice. But with aspect ratio: expanded, Video mode: Monitor, exit to Xiaomi home and enter again, the 3D becomes perfect, just like if it were a 2D movie but in 3D, plus HDR. (With hdmi 2.0 activated)
I don't know why but the improvement is huge. (It's for ISO or full 3d Blu-ray, not SBS or OU, but I,ve not tried it). If you can try it next time you see a 3D movie and check if there is any difference it would be great, maybe it's only my unit or maybe are all

Having problem activating hdmi 2.0 on my V2 Xiaomi projector. Tried different cables, managed to get image once or twice, but lost again. Most likely cables are not good enough. Could anyone point out to the cables that works 100%?

So I've been looking around for some good screens for this projector, and would like some input on what might be the best (and economical) choice.

The ones I've been looking at are (with price ranges since sites I've seen don't list price models with sizes):
* xyscreen PET Crystal ALR ($200 - $800)
* Azure PET Crystal (Doesn't specify ALR or CLR but guess ALR?) ($750)
* OHYES Pet Crystal ALR CLR ($550 - $900)
* Promax UST ALR ($120 - $250)
* Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey ALR CLR ($750 - $1000)
* Elite Screens Aeon Series Fixed CineWhite ($750)

Questions I have are:
* Are the ones which are CLR always leticulated, for UST?
* Are ALR and CLR set terms? Can some be called ALR but also be CLR?
* How can I somehow gauge which of all these is the better one for UST with ambient light? Just as a first filter, without samples.
* Should I try to find something with a gain of 1 or below 1? (more than 1 is not so good with UST, right?)

I'm kinda new to all this, so don't really know where to look, or how to handle haggling... and just want to find a screen that is preferably around $700-$800 in max price.

So I've been looking around for some good screens for this projector, and would like some input on what might be the best (and economical) choice.

The ones I've been looking at are (with price ranges since sites I've seen don't list price models with sizes):
* xyscreen PET Crystal ALR ($200 - $800)
* Azure PET Crystal (Doesn't specify ALR or CLR but guess ALR?) ($750)
* OHYES Pet Crystal ALR CLR ($550 - $900)
* Promax UST ALR ($120 - $250)
* Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey ALR CLR ($750 - $1000)
* Elite Screens Aeon Series Fixed CineWhite ($750)

Questions I have are:
* Are the ones which are CLR always leticulated, for UST?
* Are ALR and CLR set terms? Can some be called ALR but also be CLR?
* How can I somehow gauge which of all these is the better one for UST with ambient light? Just as a first filter, without samples.
* Should I try to find something with a gain of 1 or below 1? (more than 1 is not so good with UST, right?)

I'm kinda new to all this, so don't really know where to look, or how to handle haggling... and just want to find a screen that is preferably around $700-$800 in max price.

As far as I can tell, the original, actual maker of the PET Crystal ALR screens specifically for USTs is XY Screens, and it's very possible and even likely that every other site selling them is just selling the xy screen. Azure for sure is. xyscreens are pretty much only available through direct inquiry on alibaba to the manufacturer (many people have spoken to a lady named Wendy there, including myself) though the quotes seem to vary. For all intents and purposes, I would consider XYscreen to be the only ALR screen made for USTs, so I would just deal with them directly.

Elite screens specifcially does NOT make ALR for USTs, ad the Aeon Cinegrey line is not recommended for UST. The only material that EliteScreens says is compatible with USTs is their Cinewhite material, which you can get on a fixed or motorized tab tensioned screen. I know this from direct correspondence with multiple sales people at EliteScreens.

Every CLR/ALR screen is made for regular front projectors unless otherwise noted. Like I said, im pretty sure XYscreen PET crystal is the only ALR/CLR screen made for USTs on the market.

XYscreens are .8 gain, cinewhite from elitescreens (which again, has no ambient light rejection) is 1.1 i believe. You shouldn't stray from either of those ends, as far as I can tell.

For what its worth, I have yet to invest in a screen and am projecting on a big piece of Komatex plastic board (lots written about using this material for projection, just google it or search this forum). Besides not being perfectly straight (slight waviness ect, to be expected with a UST), it looks pretty good. With LOTS of ambient light, it looks pretty washed out, but as the sun sets and less light comes into the room, the thing looks pretty damn good. If you want a temporary solution while waiting to invest in a real screen, its not a bad idea. Look for a local plastic/sign dealer in your area and they should have some.

Take a look at the picture, taken in the middle of the day with light coming in from multiple windows. You can see the unevenness of the screen, partially due to it just not being a perfect surface (waviness at the top) but also because i messed up slightly in my mounting and its pressed a little on the right (thus the big scoop on the right side, the screen is kinda popping out at that end due to mounting the brackets just a bit smaller than the actual size of the screen.

That's an 8ft by 4ft piece by the way, 100" diagonal 16:9 picture on display.

Attachments

• 869525bb-0bb0-46af-9d10-1fb9a83cbb30.jpg
    869525bb-0bb0-46af-9d10-1fb9a83cbb30.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 753
As far as I can tell, the original, actual maker of the PET Crystal ALR screens specifically for USTs is XY Screens, and it's very possible and even likely that every other site selling them is just selling the xy screen. Azure for sure is. xyscreens are pretty much only available through direct inquiry on alibaba to the manufacturer (many people have spoken to a lady named Wendy there, including myself) though the quotes seem to vary. For all intents and purposes, I would consider XYscreen to be the only ALR screen made for USTs, so I would just deal with them directly.

Elite screens specifcially does NOT make ALR for USTs, ad the Aeon Cinegrey line is not recommended for UST. The only material that EliteScreens says is compatible with USTs is their Cinewhite material, which you can get on a fixed or motorized tab tensioned screen. I know this from direct correspondence with multiple sales people at EliteScreens.

Every CLR/ALR screen is made for regular front projectors unless otherwise noted. Like I said, im pretty sure XYscreen PET crystal is the only ALR/CLR screen made for USTs on the market.

XYscreens are .8 gain, cinewhite from elitescreens (which again, has no ambient light rejection) is 1.1 i believe. You shouldn't stray from either of those ends, as far as I can tell.

For what its worth, I have yet to invest in a screen and am projecting on a big piece of Komatex plastic board (lots written about using this material for projection, just google it or search this forum). Besides not being perfectly straight (slight waviness ect, to be expected with a UST), it looks pretty good. With LOTS of ambient light, it looks pretty washed out, but as the sun sets and less light comes into the room, the thing looks pretty damn good. If you want a temporary solution while waiting to invest in a real screen, its not a bad idea. Look for a local plastic/sign dealer in your area and they should have some.

Take a look at the picture, taken in the middle of the day with light coming in from multiple windows. You can see the unevenness of the screen, partially due to it just not being a perfect surface (waviness at the top) but also because i messed up slightly in my mounting and its pressed a little on the right (thus the big scoop on the right side, the screen is kinda popping out at that end due to mounting the brackets just a bit smaller than the actual size of the screen.

That's an 8ft by 4ft piece by the way, 100" diagonal 16:9 picture on display.

Thanks for the longer response. I guess I still have some thinking/deciding to do then :)
Not sure I think the solution you have look good enough for me to buy as an interim though, it looks way too wavy. But maybe I'll buy something else cheap meanwhile.

The board could be mounted more straight and less wavy if you take more care in making sure its perfectly flat and level and also if the place you buy it from lets you pick a pristine piece and you have the means to transport it without any bending. I had to kinda bend it to fit it in my car so thats partially why. The other reason why is like i said I mounted it slightly off and its bowing out on the right side.

Hi Roku2, yes, I was doing something similar, but 3D quality wasn't just perfect, a bit blurry and not very nice. But with aspect ratio: expanded, Video mode: Monitor, exit to Xiaomi home and enter again, the 3D becomes perfect, just like if it were a 2D movie but in 3D, plus HDR. (With hdmi 2.0 activated)
I don't know why but the improvement is huge. (It's for ISO or full 3d Blu-ray, not SBS or OU, but I,ve not tried it). If you can try it next time you see a 3D movie and check if there is any difference it would be great, maybe it's only my unit or maybe are all
My Xiaomi Mi is always set to HDMI 2.0, that has nothing to do with 3D quality.Also refresh rate selection has nothing to do with 3D quality and besides, all 3D movies are in 24Hz. Not sure what you are referring to when you say video mode: monitor.
3D shouldn't be that complicated. Just select 3D mode pattern (frame pack, up/down), full aspect ratio(expanded ar will crop image) and good to go. If image looks too soft just increase sharpness

Having problem activating hdmi 2.0 on my V2 Xiaomi projector. Tried different cables, managed to get image once or twice, but lost again. Most likely cables are not good enough. Could anyone point out to the cables that works 100%?
Make sure that all connected devices, including any soundbars, are HDMI 2.0

I have noticed a lot of image noise, especially on the black. Is it normal?
I project the screen on a white wall

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom