Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector

Aliexpress
Seller: Global Projector Store
Screenshot_20180828-223127.png

Found the Android 8 version here, no UK shipment though for some reason, and shocking reviews of the company!

[International Version] Original Xiaomi Mijia Laser Projector Ultra Short 5000 Lumens Home Theater Sales Online white - Tomtop

From what I gather, the MJJGYY02FM English version is fairly new so I think i'm going to wait a bit. All I can find about it are fcc webpages stating mid July as passing and a link to the manual

FCC ID 2AO2D-MJJGYY02FM Mi Ultra-Short Range Laser Projector by Fengmi(Beijing)Technology Co., Ltd
MJJGYY02FM Mi Ultra-Short Range Laser Projector User Manual Users Manual Fengmi(Beijing)Technology Co., Ltd

I'm not entirely convinced that the Wemax version has anything to do with Xiaomi so i'm going to steer clear of that one.

Last edited:
When in User mode, you should have a choice of color temperature: standard, cold, warm, and custom. In your screenshots I don't see 'custom' color temperature so my guess is that your model doesn't have the firmware update that enables that option.
Did you make sure that your pj is on the latest firmware?
If no custom option is available I'd suggest Warm as the next most accurate option which is closest to D65

Thanks for the advice.
Not sure how to check on the version of the "firmware" of the projector but i'll have a proper look around.
If i can't find it i'll use your recommendation.

Also managed to sideload Netflix on to the projector, works find. only annoying thing is that it's for a touch screen android device, found out it's a real pain using the remote.
Android remote on my pixel 2 has a touch pad mode, its working somewhat with netflix.

I wonder if a bluetooth mouse will work? Anyone tried?

Are there any differences in input lag on android 8.1.0 compared to the original OS that the projector was launched with?
(input lag can be tested and calculated by feeding a mirrored input through a secondary screen and capturing a photo of a running timer with ms indication using a camera that shows both screens - captured multiple times to average the results)
I was hoping for some improvement in that field with a software update, and I was wondering if that's the case.

er... sounds complicated, i have my old led 20" TV around, but not sure if i can find a camera that shows what you want. I'll see if i can do it or not at the weekend.

Hi, do you know where you can buy this MJJGYY02FM version from?

Sorry, got mine in Hong Kong, the stores where i visited aren't doing any international shipping yet. But i'm sure they will be available in the near future.

Watching Avengers IW on UHD...This projector does a great job at downsampling 4K HDR sources (once we make necessary adjustments to picture settings). It literally looks like I am playing 4K HDR on my 100" screen! Beautiful picture and way better than going to see this at the cinema!

Hi Guys, you are talking about an international version of the projector with android 8, does any of you have the knowledge/ability to copy that ROM from your international device and make it available for us stuck with the Chinese version?

Any of you guys been having input lag (affecting lip-sync) issues with the projector? I have the Chinese version running Android 6.0.1 and firmware 1.3.74. When playing blu-rays and using the projector's 'user mode' picture setting, I am getting lag times greater than 160ms :(..

Why is this projector better than an Optoma or BenQ 4k projector? The price is the same. And the bright and contrast is worse.

Last edited:
Why is this projector better than an Optoma or BenQ 4k projector? The price is the same. And the bright and contrast is worse.
I think that the people buying this want an ultra short throw projector instead of having to have their projector a few metres away to get a decent size picture and because it uses a longer lasting laser instead of a bulb.

Re the illusive MJJGYY02FM version

I've contacted Gearbest, they do not stock it, all their versions are the 01. I'm guessing the International version they sell is just the Chinese version with the APK installed!
I've contacted Xiaomi, no immediate plans to sell the unit in the UK and any product bought from HK etc will have no warranty.
I've contacted about 20 HK sellers on eBay, most said no but 1 is checking with their supplier.

I think that the people buying this want an ultra short throw projector instead of having to have their projector a few metres away to get a decent size picture and because it uses a longer lasting laser instead of a bulb.
Not to mention both 4K HDR and 3D playback available

Some factors out of many that comes to mind:
  1. Plug 'n' play system (UST) without having to worry about space, distance, setup, mounting etc.
  2. No issue with anything blocking the projection (Another UST pro).
  3. Simple setup anywhere.
  4. Excellent integrated sound system making it an all-in-one rather compact entertainment unit.
I can assure you that its brightness is a non-issue, its more than capable. Its one of the best buy gadget I have gotten.

The disadvantage of this projector is warranty if you are like most of us who aren't living in XiaoMi's official distribution region should you encounter any issue past the seller provided non-manufacturer warranty period. Also, some owners find the fan loud but I don't notice it.

Re the illusive MJJGYY02FM version

I've contacted Gearbest, they do not stock it, all their versions are the 01. I'm guessing the International version they sell is just the Chinese version with the APK installed!

Do they charge more just for the APK installed?!

Has anyone found a way to decrease fan speed or reduce fan noise by doing any external mods e.g. add some kind of mesh or something. Fan noise is particularly annoying if you are trying to watch something on a quarter volume.

Also did anyone found a way to pair bluetooth headphones? I can pair mine, but the sound doesn't come trough.

Has anyone found a way to decrease fan speed or reduce fan noise by doing any external mods...

In this thread there are multiple "attempts" at dealing with the projectors noise. One an adding an inexpensive dual USB powered quite fans that the user said they would put on on the case intake and on one on the out vent. That post included a picture (not attached to the Mi UST) and an Amazon link. I've not read a followup that it made any impact on reducing heat or internal fan noise.

A DIY attempt was to replace the Mi UST fans with HTPC quite fans but that failed and was abandoned. The UST overheated or reacted as such by shutting down almost immediately. The same user went on to describe a "quite box" or some such phrase that uses acoustic materials to box off the projector but still keep the air flow working. From what I read that same approach has been know to help quite more traditional projector fan noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this is the hushbox approach.

Also another question, how do you force Android version upgrade, mine is 6.0.1

I think we have to know what fundamental differences are between 01 and 02 versions before we can comfortably apply one's firmware on the other. Don't wanna brick my unit. :eek:

Has anyone found a way to decrease fan speed or reduce fan noise by doing any external mods e.g. add some kind of mesh or something. Fan noise is particularly annoying if you are trying to watch something on a quarter volume.

Also did anyone found a way to pair bluetooth headphones? I can pair mine, but the sound doesn't come trough.

This fan with a range of reduced db was proposed to be compatible with the original projector blacknoise.com - Noiseblocker NB Multiframe S-Series 80mm

This seems to be the original fan in the projector [T80T12MUA7-5*]| Nidec Corporation According to the spec this original fan seems to have a much higher rpm which might explain why the suggested replacement has a lower db which might also have a lower air circulation capability.

Last edited:
About £120 at the moment, was £400 yesterday as the Chinese version was reduced to £1100.

It is absurd to charge that difference for merely preinstalling the Eng .apk if that is really the only difference between the two.

That right there is Capitalism in action - the laws of supply and demand. Who'd a thunk from a Chinese company?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom