Xiaomi 4k Laser Projector review (now with videos)

Hello Guys, i have managed to find a permanently solution on the problems of the UST xiaomi mijia 4K projector after 1 month of investigating on a defective one (i am projector technician,also i have my own blog and make repair & review articles).

The problems that appears to this model on this specific malfunction are
-does not boot or late on boot
-dots on the screen
-half screen vertical white lines

I am going to make a full repair article with photos and full descriptions the next days to my blog, unfortunately i can not post the article and the link of my blog because is against the forum rules (i post a screen review i made few days ago and the moderator delete the link of my review and close the thread:(), but i will try to post here too some photos and the instructions of the repair.

The problem is a defective and poor quality part on the optical block. It has to be change. There is no problem on the flat cable or something like that i have read in a lot of posts. The flat cable is absolutely fine.

The challenge was to find that part. After a lot of search i realize that this projector does not have any kind of support on parts like the most brands and on the other hand, if i find it, the new part is going to brake after a few hundred of hours again, as it is probably have been made by the same poor material. So i decide to design end make my own. It tooks me a lot of tries to find the right material (a material to have a great durability on the heat) and i create it on a laser CNC. I have made and some improvements on the design that had to be there in first place but is was not.

When this part is been replaced, all the problems will be gone and the projector will never suffer again by these ever again in the future (the build of the rest projector it seems very solid).

20200728-155938.jpg

Wow I’m interested in your solution, please can you private message me a link to your blog as I’d love to read it

good effort by the way finding a solution

Just ordered the modified metal bracket from Nikos. Will update here once the part arrives and I fix it up..

I have been messaging him and he is a great help. I'm just not comfortable taking it to that many pieces to be honest or i would love to sort it

I had the same problem with my Xiaomi 4k UST. Slow boot and white dots. Tried every recommendation (oping the case, grinding the case, loosening the tape) - did not help to ease the problem.

So i did sent my projector to Nikos (from Germany to Greece). The projector came back today and is working as it was when it was brand-new from the factory. Fast boot uptime & no white dots!

Nikos seems to be an nice guy and the communication via Mail was very good. Hope that helps.

Mine is also making a high pitched noise:

Like many others I noticed the noise is stronger in movie mode as in highlight mode.

Mike85 I am not suspectible to high pitch whine, or when I hear it does not bother me much,

IronMan1977 I think your projector whine is slightly above my tolerance, but that was not the case with mine.

@angrybird Thanks for the reply - you say you are not susceptible to it / it doesn't bother you. Was the noise there on your model if you tried to listen for it? Or, was your model free from noise completely?

My video doesn't really capture the sound as the mic on my phone isn't the best, but it is similar to the video @IronMan1977

I assume they all have a noise like this then?

it had been a while, I am sorry but I do not remember
I found the fan noise more annoying, during the day I used to sit at a distance with some audio playing \ movies etc, it did not bother me much.

at night I was using my bose QC35 ii headphones, and it does a bit of noise isolation, but did not need to turn noise cancellation.

in your case, if you use noise-canceling headphones you will not hear those noises.

The fan noise is fine on mine, fans are OK and quiet.

However, the high pitched noise can be heard from as far away as the hallway outside the viewing room.

The fan noise is fine on mine, fans are OK and quiet.

However, the high pitched noise can be heard from as far away as the hallway outside the viewing room.

Couldn't stand the noise but Banggood were really good actually, I was expecting a bit of a fight to return it but it went really smoothly - returned it to them with them covering the return shipping (was a UK return address). Have received a refund already.

Finally the projector is repaired using the custom plate from Nikos at ProjectorJunkies. It took almost an hour to repair without any issues. Big thanks to Nikos !

xiaomi-4k-laser-ust-projector-repair

It works like new again. No dots, lines or black screen for 10 mins. I will further update after using for few weeks. If anybody needs any help, please let me know. I have few pictures taken during the repair...

Attachments

• IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Hello sambeet

I would like to know I ordered the plate for the repair of projectorjunkies so I will soon disassemble my Xiaomi 4k and I noticed on the photos of the motherboard that there were several Flat cables with lock for me The one that me problematic these the blue flat cable you disconnect it how?
you all just shoot?
its would have been the best if you could have done a little video or photo tutorial to disconnect the flat cables from the motherboard its could help a lot of people like me 😁

To save me over 300 + posts is there a general consensus on this unit?

It feels to good to be true.

It can be had with a "global version" for £1,333.31 which spec for spec with "UK" stuff is crazy good.

Is there a "better" place to buy from that Banggood? Never heard of them before but reviews seem mainly positive.

I've worked out I can only use an ultra short throw solution in our current house and it seems to be very slim pickings.

I was about to buy this:

But this Xiaomi option brings a lot of spec to the table which is hard to ignore.

Just feel somewhat concerned buying from "abroad"

Any feedback on previous experiences with the unit and especially where to buy appreciated .

Thanks.

it had been a while, I am sorry but I do not remember
I found the fan noise more annoying, during the day I used to sit at a distance with some audio playing \ movies etc, it did not bother me much.

at night I was using my bose QC35 ii headphones, and it does a bit of noise isolation, but did not need to turn noise cancellation.

in your case, if you use noise-canceling headphones you will not hear those noises.

I see you just sold your killer screen and the projector , would have snapped that right up.

Any reason ?

So guys any way to fix this high pitched noise?
I noticed, if close the ventilation holes the noise getting quieter.
Maybe inside projector is possible to isolate the element that make noise... like some glue in the coils))

Hello,

I repaired my Xiaomi 4K Laser UST MJJGTYDS01FM with the plate

https://www.projectorjunkies.com/xiaomi ... or-repair/

Before I had a longer and longer start with 2 pixels on a white background and once I had colors at the start which were completely rainbow when I dismantled I saw that the plate was good distort see the photos, now after repair it starts immediately my pixels are still there apparently these the chip which and defective, I saw that it sells on Aliexpress this chip (DMD 1910-50BBM) I asked them the question of compatibility in several stores it my all answered that it was compatible is someone ordering it?

20/46/0qj8.jpg - Visionneuse Zupimages
20/46/yywa.jpg - Visionneuse Zupimages
20/46/xdvz.jpg - Visionneuse Zupimages
20/46/u0mp.jpg - Visionneuse Zupimages
Regards,

Have any of the UK guys or girls done this yet? I haven't done it but feel i need to get on with it and get it sorted, there's just a lot of taking apart to be done and I'm not sure i am 100% confident.

I know this is a WAY off what most of you guys need from a projector as this is a 4K all singing all dancing PJ but I just wasn't prepared to take the risk/deal with the hassle and went and bought a £450 LG Cinescream 450UG ultra short throw and it's absurdly good for the money with adequate connectivity, blue tooth etc to a new Bose sound bar I paired it with and the picture is even tolerable in ambient on a shitty £50 screen.

Just a heads up for those needing ultra short throw but also with a ultra small budget.

I ordered a plate from Nikos and thanks to him, my projector is working fine every start just like when we first got it. Thank you so much Nikos!

Hi,
I am interested in one of these 4k laser projectors,how do they compare with say a JVC x3 projector .
Is the picture simular ?

what can i say...from X3 they play for sure much better. At the moment i am testing a xiaomi 1s next to a JVC N5, you do not want to know the results.... but keep in mind that they need a special UST ALR screen to give the maximum..

what can i say...from X3 they play for sure much better. At the moment i am testing a xiaomi 1s next to a JVC N5, you do not want to know the results.... but keep in mind that they need a special UST ALR screen to give the maximum..
so, after years of using conventional bulb projectors costing a lot more than 3k ,these laser 4k projectors are much better and also not have to worry about buying bulbs every year or so ?
Do they throw a inverted celing mount image ?
what will happen to all the conventional 4k projectors that most people use now costing 6 to 15 k if the new laser types are better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom