XH9505 Sound Questions

marshalex

Hi All

Had this TV now (55" version) and absolutely love it. The only niggles I seem to have with it are around the sound.

I'm using a Cambridge Audio TVB2 Sound Bar which is connected via ARC. With my old Samsung TV I was using the sound bar as a hdmi switcher but that caused a few issues with ARC when using anything plugged directly into the TV/Apps so I used to disable CEC to stop the sound bar auto-switching to ARC every time the TV turned on. Main reason for using the sound bar as a hdmi switcher was it meant only a single cable up to the TV and I had it all managed quite nicely with my Harmony remote.

Since getting the Sony I'm finding myself constantly having to switch from ARC to the appropriate HDMI port on the sound bar which has resulted in me plugging my virgin media box (another frustration as none of the CEC commands work properly from the remote for guide, changing channel etc. but that's not a massive issue) directly into the TV.
What I am noticing is an intermittent what appears to be a re-sync between the TV and the sound bar over ARC. It will cut out briefly and come straight back on. This occurs regardless of the source and I can't seem to find any setting which resolves this. I have just replaced the HDMI cable so will see if that makes any difference

I guess I have 2 main questions:
  • How can I fix the cut-out issue over ARC, is this something people have seen before?
  • Is it possible for me to still use the sound bar as a hdmi switcher without having to be constantly switching back to the right input on the sound bar. There's not an option to disable auto switching on the sound bar (annoyingly)
Sorry for the ramble but once I get this audio niggle sorted (and can control my virgin v6 box with the sony remote) I'm set!

marshalex

Having played around a bit more last night I think I might have worked out what the problem is. I have the A/V sync set to "On". I had it set to auto after playing around with the other settings and noticed that the sound seemed slightly behind, after not having the cut out for most of last night. Change it to on and the cut out's came back.
Will do some more testing but has anyone else come across this issue?

rammie

Having played around a bit more last night I think I might have worked out what the problem is. I have the A/V sync set to "On". I had it set to auto after playing around with the other settings and noticed that the sound seemed slightly behind, after not having the cut out for most of last night. Change it to on and the cut out's came back.
Will do some more testing but has anyone else come across this issue?
Sorry , can't help with the sound. I'm happy enough with the tv sound . I have a sound bar but don't use it.
But the other thing you mention, the Sony remote and the virgin V6 box........it operates mine perfectly.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Sorry , can't help with the sound. I'm happy enough with the tv sound . I have a sound bar but don't use it.
But the other thing you mention, the Sony remote and the virgin V6 box........it operates mine perfectly.
How did you get it to do this other than on/off.

So how do I go to guide/record/pause/my shows/ rewind/ fast forward etc. etc.? Which buttons are you using for these functions?

rammie

So how do I go to guide/record/pause/my shows/ rewind/ fast forward etc. etc.? Which buttons are you using for these functions?
Mmm...just had a look at that. Right, for guide, I use the guide button on the Sony remote. That brings up the TV guide, the same as the virgin remote guide button would do.
Now, as for the others. It looks like you can't! We've had that V6 box for years , and we've never recorded anything on it. Therefore have never needed to use pause, forward etc .

When I turn the TV on, it then asks if I want to turn box on. So.....turning it on, using TV guide, changing channel, and volume, all work ok on Sony remote. That's all we ever did with the virgin remote anyway.

Apologies if it sounded misleading!

rammie

The only thing I'd like to be able to do, is turn off the v6 box. I can't figure out how to do that.

DavidT

I am on VM and have a V6 STB. My Sony remote works the V6 ok. I can do pretty much everything with the Sony remote that I can do with the V6 remote. The play, pause, ff, fr buttons all work, the guide button is as expected but for "My Shows" you have to use the "REC LIST" button. Volume, change channel, back, mute, number buttons all work on the V6. Even the blue button works to filter the guide.

marshalex

So the guide button doesn't work, neither do the play/pause etc. buttons unless I press "TV" before doing anything else (I'e got the TV button linked to the input on the box) which presents an annoying black bar at the bottom of the screen while doing.
Channel changing is also really annoying as I can only type in 2 digits of the channel rather than 3.
From the other comments this seems very hit and miss

rammie

So the guide button doesn't work, neither do the play/pause etc. buttons unless I press "TV" before doing anything else (I'e got the TV button linked to the input on the box) which presents an annoying black bar at the bottom of the screen while doing.
Channel changing is also really annoying as I can only type in 2 digits of the channel rather than 3.
From the other comments this seems very hit and miss
I don't need to press TV. As I said, guide just brings up the guide, and I can stroll up and down as normal. Ch up and down moves a page at a time, just the same as the Virgin remote did. And I can enter the 3 digit channel number no problem.

I can't remember when I set this set up, but I assume it asked me if I was using a set top box etc, and I must have paired it up at the time. I've no idea how you'd change it now, but it must be in the settings somewhere. It definitely works here.

marshalex

I don't need to press TV. As I said, guide just brings up the guide, and I can stroll up and down as normal. Ch up and down moves a page at a time, just the same as the Virgin remote did. And I can enter the 3 digit channel number no problem.

I can't remember when I set this set up, but I assume it asked me if I was using a set top box etc, and I must have paired it up at the time. I've no idea how you'd change it now, but it must be in the settings somewhere. It definitely works here.
I guess I'll try setting it all up again, though with the sound issues going on I'll likely just plug directly into the sound bar again and use my harmony remote to control it all.
It's odd as some of the buttons work absolutely fine and others don't at all, like guide. I'm wondering if there was a setup issue when I plugged it all in

DavidT

I didn't do anything special either, I just told the tv about the "tvbox" when asked and the tv setup the remote.

Morden

I guess I'll try setting it all up again, though with the sound issues going on I'll likely just plug directly into the sound bar again and use my harmony remote to control it all.
It's odd as some of the buttons work absolutely fine and others don't at all, like guide. I'm wondering if there was a setup issue when I plugged it all in

edit
Go to settings>> watching tv>>external inputs>>tv box setup.

Last edited:

marshalex

edit
Go to settings>> watching tv>>external inputs>>tv box setup.
yeah I've done that a couple of times already. usually works for a few mins afterwards then stops for some reason.

Sound issues do seem to be caused by the AV Sync function. I've noticed that the auto sync is pretty terrible from my virgin box via the TV to the sound bar, no idea why it's so bad but even with the A/V sync permanently on it's constantly going out of sync and sorts itself with a brief loss of sound.
No idea if it's the soundbar or the TV which is the issue. Wondering if a picture processing setting is causing a delay

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@marshalex Hello, the AV sync on the Virgin boxes is a reknowed issue that is wide spread. It is an issue with the box itself rather than any of your TV or Audio equipment. It is really poor and even my parents noticed the issue when they joined Virgin earlier this year from just using a Youview + box.

The best success I found for them was to use digital optical directly from the Virgin TV box to the sound system. When the av sync starts to slip on content from the box, either pause it for a second and then press play, or go up 1 channel and then come back to the channel you were on.

For streaming content and apps just use the native apps on the TV, do NOT use the apps on the Virgin box,

Hope this helps.

marshalex

@marshalex Hello, the AV sync on the Virgin boxes is a reknowed issue that is wide spread. It is an issue with the box itself rather than any of your TV or Audio equipment. It is really poor and even my parents noticed the issue when they joined Virgin earlier this year from just using a Youview + box.

The best success I found for them was to use digital optical directly from the Virgin TV box to the sound system. When the av sync starts to slip on content from the box, either pause it for a second and then press play, or go up 1 channel and then come back to the channel you were on.

For streaming content and apps just use the native apps on the TV, do NOT use the apps on the Virgin box,

Hope this helps.
Didn't know this and probably never noticed before as I was connected straight into the sound bar with video pass through into the TV.
Will try and get that setup again as the solution

marshalex

So after finally biting the bullet and factory resetting the TV I seem to have sorted all the issue out in one fail swoop. Virgin box can now be controlled by the Sony remote and now I'm able to select PCM as the sound Output for the TV without losing sound completely and the sound interruptions appear to have stopped now as well.
Really odd how the only way I was able to get it all working correctly was a factory reset...

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
So after finally biting the bullet and factory resetting the TV I seem to have sorted all the issue out in one fail swoop. Virgin box can now be controlled by the Sony remote and now I'm able to select PCM as the sound Output for the TV without losing sound completely and the sound interruptions appear to have stopped now as well.
Really odd how the only way I was able to get it all working correctly was a factory reset...

It's frustrating but they're just computers really and sometimes a good old factory reset just sorts it all out. Glad it's all working for you. Reminds me...I need to photograph my settings incase I need to ever factory reset mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom