XH95, XH90 or XG95?

JakobKr

Novice Member
After looking at a 32" TV from Philips for 7 years, I have decided that it is time for an upgrade. I have done quite some research and I have narrowed my options down to the following three models:
  • KD-49XH9505 for €792 (2020)
  • KD-55XH9299 for €728 (2020)
  • KD-55XG9505 for €762 (2019)
Since the price difference is minimal, it now comes down to the specs and I need some help with making the final decision. I will try to explain my preferences and situation as precisely as I can, if you need any more info please let me know!

I mostly use my TV for watching football, movies and playing games. There's no need for good audio since I will be using my home cinema system.

As for gaming, I currently own a PS4, no plans for buying the PS5 in the next 2 years. I like to play cinematic story-based games.

My room is usually quite dark since its a semi-basement. I will be sitting about 2 metres from the TV, facing it head on.

I plan on owning this TV for at least 5 years so it should be somewhat future proof. What mostly concerns me is the lack of 2.1 HDMI for the XH95 and XG95 since this might become more important in the future. What if I buy a PS5 and I need to buy a new TV because it lacks HDMI 2.1, or should I not worry about this?

Finally, I also got an offer of €999 for the new XR-50X94J. Altough it is a bit above my budget, it sounds like a good deal, but I am not sure... Is this a deal that I should not think twice about?

Dodgexander

XH92 is a variant of the XH90. They are the same TVs.
XH9505 despite lacking HDMI 2.1 is more future proof than the XH90 due to higher peak brightness. The higher peak brightness means HDR titles will play on the TV without them looking to dark and washed out like they sometimes will on the XH90.

HDMI 2.1 is not a requirment of the new consoles. HDMI 2.0 will work fine, in 60hz mode.

JakobKr

Novice Member
XH92 is a variant of the XH90. They are the same TVs.
XH9505 despite lacking HDMI 2.1 is more future proof than the XH90 due to higher peak brightness. The higher peak brightness means HDR titles will play on the TV without them looking to dark and washed out like they sometimes will on the XH90.

HDMI 2.1 is not a requirment of the new consoles. HDMI 2.0 will work fine, in 60hz mode.
Thanx for your help! What is your opinion on the difference between the 2020 XH95 and the 2021 X94J? The X94J falls under the X90J lineup which replaces the 2020 XH90. So, is this new version of the XH90 better than the XH95 or is still better to go for the XH95?

I got my Sony 55" XH95 two months ago and as a gamer I am quite happy with the TV. I have an Xbox Series X connected to the TV and the games which run in 4K at 60 frames per second look great in HDR.

Maybe one thing you need to be aware of is that except for the 49" variant the XH95 has a layer called "X-Wide-Angle" which is supposed to provide better viewing angles but at the expense of a lower contrast and reduced reflections with a rainbow-effect. Without the "X-Wide-Angle" layer the 49" XH95 should have a similar contrast as the XH90 but probably gets brighter.

Compared to the XH95 models the XH90 and the XJ90 have HDMI 2.1 which allow supported games to run at a framerate up to 120 frames per second at 4K (while the XH95 only offers 4K/60fps or 1080p/120fps). For cinematic story-based games you will be more than satisfied with 4K/60fps - most cinematic games on the PS4 run at 1080p & 30fps. 120fps makes sense if you are playing highly competitive games like fighting games and first-person-shooters in multiplayer. Even with HDMI 2.1 the current Sony TVs are missing features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Automatic Low Latency Mode (ALLM) which Sony promised to deliver at a later time via a firmware update.

According to reviews the differences between the XH90 and XJ90 are few. The XJ90 offers a better contrast and higher peak brightness, but color gamut isn't as good as on the XH90.

You can compare the TV's on rtings.com:

Last edited:

JakobKr

Novice Member
Maybe one thing you need to be aware of is that except for the 49" variant the XH95 has a layer called "X-Wide-Angle" which is supposed to provide better viewing angles but at the expense of a lower contrast and reduced reflections with a rainbow-effect. Without the "X-Wide-Angle" layer the 49" XH95 should have a similar contrast as the XH90 but probably gets brighter.
I'm a but confused by this. Does this mean that the 49" variant has better picture quality than the rest, when viewed from the front? In that case, it would be better (for me) since I only look at it from the front, correct?

I am still on the fence about the size, I already went from 43 to 50 during my research and now people are saying I should take at least 55. I can't sit much further away than 2 metres though...

I'm a but confused by this. Does this mean that the 49" variant has better picture quality than the rest, when viewed from the front? In that case, it would be better (for me) since I only look at it from the front, correct?
Difficult to say how the image of the 49" XH95 compares to the image of the XH90 since most reviewers had the 55" variant of the XH95 which also has the "X-wide-angle" layer. Also to be fair without the "X-Wide-Angle" layer the image doesn't look terrible when viewed from the side, it's just a bit washed out.

Please have a look a this review video which might tell you more about how the 49" XH95 version compares to other TVs:

I think you would also be happy with the XH90 which is a great TV but if you want to be sure and you have the possibility to compare them at a shop then try that.

Personally I was also considering the 55" XH90 before choosing the 55" XH95 two months ago. I went for the XH95 due to the better peak brightness in HDR and the better viewing angle for my family members.

I am still on the fence about the size, I already went from 43 to 50 during my research and now people are saying I should take at least 55. I can't sit much further away than 2 metres though...
I'm also sitting around 2 meter away from my 55" TV and to be honest I kind of like it. It does help you immerse more in games when the image is bigger. Also documentary films look amazing in HD (1080p) and 4K.

Dodgexander

The 49XH95 is still as good as the larger models, but it lacks the wide viewing angle filter. That means you lose wider viewing angles, but gain contrast.

The new X95J is the replacement to the XH95 and is now 65" and up only.
The X94J (another confusing model number) as you say is just a variant of the X90J which replaces the X900H and remains a tier down in performance.

As with most 2021 models, they remain too expensive to recommend at the moment, having just been released.

2m is very far too view, looking at projector size screens at that distance to notice some difference between 4k and 1080p...luckily though with modern TVs as long as you're buying into a model with adequate HDR performance (like the Sony XH9505) you'll get benefits to the picture with HDR content, no matter how far away you view.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom