XH90 Disappointed, CX65 or Q90T next?

webziz

Novice Member
Looking for an advice to a sticky situation. Got the XH90 (X9005H here in northern Europe) to replace my old Sony, as the old Sony was a pretty reliable warhorse, so why not continue the Sony path. What I got was something that I didn't like so much. The XF90 has small snags such as not shutting down completely, USB:s being randomly powered (it's a Sony thing I've learned) and generally I'm not too impressed the picture. What really bugs me though are the reflections, as I can see even in evenings myself reflected from the sofa.

See attached picture for reflections (and feet)
photo_2021-07-14_11-55-17.jpg

As seen from the photo the environment isn't super needy, nor there is absurd direct sunlight. It's a living room.

I'm left pondering between two viable solutions (as I'm planning to return the Sony): LG CX65 and Samsung Q90T. I've understood (from rtings) that even the OLED should be superior to the Sony regarding reflections (7.* vs. 9.*).

About preferences: I generally just watch TV via streaming services or play Xbox X / Switch. I'm not too fond on SUPER BRIGHT LIGHTS as they generally just tend to irritate my eyes, so tend to keep the brightness also quite low (I've thought about buying a bias light). Also sound quality is not a factor for the TV, as Genelecs can handle that part.

Should I go with the LG OLED, does it have upper hand on reflections to the Sony or go for the Samsung? My

Last edited:

desinho

XH90 is not one of the best in this area, Q90T definitely one of the best (2019 R series the absolute best). OLEd or XH95 an improvement ... You can also check the Flatpanels reviews from a couple of years ago when they still included a reflection picture.

Dodgexander

OLEDs are great at handling reflections, but can fall short compared to LCD TVs if you're using it in bright conditions. Not because of glare, but because they can't get as bright.

In most living rooms this isn't an issue, but if you know your room is obtrusively bright, you may want to consider another LCD TV.

Its only until you get to the higher end models that LCD TVs cope with reflections better, the Sony XH95 is better than the XH90, but as already mentioned Samsung are the best at fighting glare as long as you are looking at the highest tier models like the Q90T/Q95T.

webziz

Novice Member
XH90 is not one of the best in this area, Q90T definitely one of the best (2019 R series the absolute best). OLEd or XH95 an improvement ... You can also check the Flatpanels reviews from a couple of years ago when they still included a reflection picture.
Checked flatpanels, but couldn't find better help there
OLEDs are great at handling reflections, but can fall short compared to LCD TVs if you're using it in bright conditions. Not because of glare, but because they can't get as bright.

In most living rooms this isn't an issue, but if you know your room is obtrusively bright, you may want to consider another LCD TV.

Its only until you get to the higher end models that LCD TVs cope with reflections better, the Sony XH95 is better than the XH90, but as already mentioned Samsung are the best at fighting glare as long as you are looking at the highest tier models like the Q90T/Q95T.

I think I won't be having issues with the brightness as I'm running the XH90 with brightness from 10 to 30. And I think I'll be steering away from further Sonys for a while, as all the problems (besides the glare / reflection) were more or less from bad software. No more Sonys for me.

desinho

Checked flatpanels, but couldn't find better help there

I think I won't be having issues with the brightness as I'm running the XH90 with brightness from 10 to 30. And I think I'll be steering away from further Sonys for a while, as all the problems (besides the glare / reflection) were more or less from bad software. No more Sonys for me.
This might be the most useful one to compare Labo – TV Samsung Q85R : un filtre antireflet impressionnant

And this is what you can find in some of the older Flatpanel reviews:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/Panasonic_GZ2000_large_40.jpg (Panasonic GZ2000 review)
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/Samsung_Q90R_large_24.jpg (Samsung Q90R review)

Sony XF90 vs A8 OLED
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/Sony_XF90_large_26.jpg (Sony X900F (XF90) review)
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/Sony_AF8_large_36.jpg (Sony A8F (AF8) OLED review)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom