xh80 questions, help please

j72ne

Novice Member
Hi,

Just bought a new telly and have some questions, can you help? It's a xh8096 55.

• Can I turn off this annoying thing whenever I change brightness where it tells me about power consumption?
  • If this tv has atmos support but no EARC output then how am I meant to get any atmos sound from it?
  • when watching a movie with black bars at top and bottom, when room is dark there are some bright blotches visible, is this normal? Can I get rid of them??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
If this tv has atmos support but no EARC output then how am I meant to get any atmos sound from it?

Atmos from the likes of Netflix and Prime are not the same as Atmos from a UHD disc.

ARC can convey the lossy Atmos you get from streaming sites if you have the correct equipment such as an Atmos compatible soundbar or AVR with Atmos speakers.

You need eARC for the lossless Atmos you'd get on a UHD disc.

• when watching a movie with black bars at top and bottom, when room is dark there are some bright blotches visible, is this normal? Can I get rid of them??

As the above posters have mentioned, it's down...

hughesie27

With regards to the 3rd point now you cannot get rid of them. It is a result of the TV being an Edge Lit display. Essentially the LED lights that light up the pixels are located around the edges (probably only the top and bottom but they can be only at the bottom or indeed around all 4 sides of the panel). In dark scenes when you want the bars to be black thebTV struggles to hide the light from these LEDs resulting in what you are seeing.

Higher end TVs come with local dimming zones and full array lighting (the LED lights cover the entire screen area and can be turned on and off to match dark or bright screens) to combat this.
Alternatively OLEDs complete eradicate this altogether. Hence the price of them.

Upvote 0

bydandie

The first point is because of a recent change to meet EC regulations.

The second means that you can get lossy Atmos rather than lossless, basically unless an audiophile you won’t notice the business.

The third is a decision taken by Sony to ensure what’s between the bars is awesome and happens with the 9505 according to most of the detailed reviews (assuming you’ve checked you panel with test images and confirmed you don’t get the issue there.

Upvote 0

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If this tv has atmos support but no EARC output then how am I meant to get any atmos sound from it?

Atmos from the likes of Netflix and Prime are not the same as Atmos from a UHD disc.

ARC can convey the lossy Atmos you get from streaming sites if you have the correct equipment such as an Atmos compatible soundbar or AVR with Atmos speakers.

As the above posters have mentioned, it's down to blooming and there's little you can do about it on an edge-lit TV.
More expensive LCD TVs with Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) can mitigate it or an OLED can remove the issue altogether but that costs a lot more money.

Upvote 0
Solution

bydandie

As the above posters have mentioned, it's down to blooming and there's little you can do about it on an edge-lit TV.
More expensive LCD TVs with Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) can mitigate it or an OLED can remove the issue altogether but that costs a lot more money.
I’ve read a number of reviews of the XH9505 that have said that Sony has taken the deliberate decision with the black bars to concentrate on the picture quality in between rather than the bars as that causes its own issues?

Upvote 0

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I haven't sat with an XH9505 for any time using HDR.

I do have a predecessor to that model and while the issue is slightly there, it's certainly not jarring, but as I said FALD can mitigate it, it won't get rid of it. You want perfect blacks and per pixel dimming, you need an OLED

Upvote 0

j72ne

Novice Member
The blotches are not too visible. You can’t see them during the day, just at night with lights off. I can live with it if it’s normal. Certainly a decent tv, I am very pleased with all aspects of it apart from the minor things i mentioned above. The top features IMO are the operating system, the picture quality and the remote.
I would recommend to anyone.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom